Epoxy Curing Question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jeff in Pembroke

Epoxy Curing Question

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

The end of this project is tantalizingly close. Varnishing the hull should be complete tomorrow. I coated the gunnels, thwart, and other trim items 4 days ago with WEST 105/207. I am using Interlux Perfection 2-part LPU varnish and the instructions say to let the epoxy cure for a full week before varnishing. I was hoping to varnish the trim tomorrow and the next day for launching (hopefully) on July 1. Will the epoxy be adequately cured after 5 days, or should I contain my excitement and wait the full week?

Jeff
Dave

Post by Dave »

Hi Jeff
It might work but I have no experience there. I allowed my epoxy to cure for a couple of weeks and did the same with my varnish. July 1st I think is on Thursday. I think you're pushing it.
Dave
Steve Lansdowne

Post by Steve Lansdowne »

Sounds like you may be planning on only one coat of varnish? Most folks put on several. You won't have time to do that if you launch too soon. If you just can't stand not launching I'd go for a launch without any varnish at all, since 5 days should be enough time for the epoxy to cure enough to launch (though I think it keeps on curing for longer than that, but for most practical purposes 5 days is enough). Try not to put too many dings in the boat the first time out, and launch in clean water. Then apply several varnish coats after you've had your launch and the boat is dry.