Glue Lines

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Clayton

Glue Lines

Post by Clayton »

I'm building an Endeavor 17 and meticulously following Ted Moores' book. I've planked the hull, put the external stems in place, planed and rough sanded. looks great! When I wet down the planks in preperation for final sanding a lot of the glue lines were visible and not too attractive. The point of a penknife showed them to be "re-moistened" white glue fromthe planking process. If I sand more, won't there just be more glue line visible? Or, do I ignore them? Will the epoxy and fiberglass hide them?
Steve Lansdowne

Post by Steve Lansdowne »

I think you're right about further sanding exposing them more, and no, the epoxy and glass won't hide them. If they really bother you, you could paint the hull, but likely as not you want a bright-finished stripper. Don't sweat it, nobody but you will ever pay attention to it! Everybody else will be so dazzled with your hull they won't even notice.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Glue is one continuing subject for this forum!! Sanding more on an individual joint may open it up more. The best you can do is make sure that you sand off any surface glue that you see when you wet the hull down for final sanding.

Having said that, I used plain old yellow carpenters glue on my yellow cedar Bob's Special. I could not see the glue lines after fairing. I'm working on a Rice Lake now with red cedar and mahogany. I will probably use the darker Elmers glue for that depending on how the strips and joints are looking.

If you have fared your hull, filled the cracks, and re-sanded...I suggest you go ahead and fiberglass your boat. Chances are that you are the only one who will notice the glue stipes. I've had lots of people walk up to me in Juneau at the shore and say what a nice canoe it is. Only one or two got close enough to really inspect the carpentry, and none of those would even notice the glue lines on the strips!!...Pat yourself on the back!!!...Juneaudave