Modified Endeavour

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
John K

Modified Endeavour

Post by John K »

Hi All,
I have fi9nally (after 3 years) completed my Endeavour and have paddled her across the Banks Strait. I lowered the back deck and recessed the cockpit, so if anyone is thinking of doing the same have a look at the link. I have also included some idyllic shots. She handles like a beauty. She does everything she's supposed to do well and then some. She does not track too hard and she lean turns well. She goes through a wave initially, but has good volume forward to lift out before it becomes a problem. As a reesult she has an easy motion. She is a little high amidships, but as she will often be overloaded that's no problem. The low back makes a roll more comfortable and the recess helps that further. In a following sea she can dig the bow in a bit, but I didn't find her hard to stop broaching. I didnt put a rudder on as I grew up in slalom and can control direction fairly well, but I also felt that I did not reallly need it. I hope this is helpful to prospective builders.
Cheers
John
http://photobucket.com/albums/f270/Jgrk ... =1&multi=6
Doug

Post by Doug »

Very nice.

Doug
"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

John,
Nice work. You have much to be proud of. I like your use of contrasting woods and I'm glad your mods worked out for you. Many happy years paddling a beautiful kayak.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
KenC

Post by KenC »

Nice work, John. As it happens, I also paddle a modified Endeavour. My mods??? I lowered the back deck and recessed the cockpit. :laughing Mine's been in service for 3 seasons.

Looking at your pics, the resemblance is striking. Right down to the dark accent strip around the perimeter of the recess. I don't have pictures posted on the web anywhere yet -- I'll have to take care of that one of these days.

Cheers;
Ken
John K

Post by John K »

KenC wrote:Nice work, John. As it happens, I also paddle a modified Endeavour. My mods??? I lowered the back deck and recessed the cockpit. :laughing Mine's been in service for 3 seasons.

Looking at your pics, the resemblance is striking. Right down to the dark accent strip around the perimeter of the recess. I don't have pictures posted on the web anywhere yet -- I'll have to take care of that one of these days.

Cheers;
Ken

Hi Ken,
It seems that more people dont like the peaked back deck. If you look on the kayak forum, you will see I paid special thanks to a Ken, but I thought his name was Sutherland, who also modified his Endeavour and sent me pictures of his modifications, so either I got the name wrong and you are the one, or else Kens seem to modify Endeavours. As far as I remember he lowered the back deck and recessed the cockpit, but just outside of the perimeter of the coaming.
Cheers
John
John K
KenC

Post by KenC »

:embarassed

Hey John. Your comment rang some bells, so I checked my old emails, and .... it was me. Too funny. And embarassing.

I finally bit the bullet and uploaded some pics to OrcaBoats' site. (Thanks Rod). Have a glance at my gallery.

Cheers.
Ken
John K

Post by John K »

KenC wrote::embarassed

Hey John. Your comment rang some bells, so I checked my old emails, and .... it was me. Too funny. And embarassing.

I finally bit the bullet and uploaded some pics to OrcaBoats' site. (Thanks Rod). Have a glance at my gallery.

Cheers.
Ken
Hi Ken
Well, well, what a lovely laugh. Thanks anyway. Yours finished looks quite nice too. One thing I didn't t do was put gunwales on mine. I put hardwood peripheral strips instead and don't worry about the splashes. By the way, I spent four years in Hamilton from 84-88 so I know Oakville some. Hope your winter isn't too mean. Our summer in Tasmania is beautiful.
Cheers
John
John K