redbird canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
patrick

redbird canoe

Post by patrick »

Hello, i will soon be building my first wood strip canoe, I was looking at building the redbird canoe, but i am not sure if that is a good choice. It will be used mostly for day trips, with my family, but also for some longer trips in the boundry waters, up to a week in lenght. Can one of you more experienced builders tell me if this is a good choice, and also some other suggestions for a caneo? Thanks, Patrick Pfeifer.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Patrick,
There has been a lot of discussion lately about the Redbird. Everyone seems to love the lines of the canoe, but some guys seem to be concerned about the low sheerline and the apparent tippyness of this canoe. I would reccomend that you read some of the recent discussion about this design and go to the page on this website that shows the comparrison of different models. I think the Redbird is rated at 92.
As far as what you say you are going to be using the canoe for, I feel the Redbird is an excellent choice. Something you didn't specify was how many family members are you talking about and how much paddling experience you have. I would take some time an weigh everything out. One guy already has his forms cut and he is now rethinking his choice, trying to decide to alter the form spacing, make the sheerline higher, or go with a new design.
You will need to make the decision whether or not the Redbird is the right choice.
I don't mean to dampen your spirits any, but I don't think the guys want to get into the same big discussion again that we just concluded recently.
As far as I'm concerned, the Redbird is the best designed and best looking canoe I've ever laid my eyes on. That's why I'm building one.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

The most amount of people will be four, 2 adults and 2 kids, but most of the time only one adult and 2 kids, since my mom doesnt like canoes much. MY dad and i both are pretty experienced paddlers, my brother is not, but he doesnt paddle anyway.
Jeff in Pembroke

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

I agree with Dean. The Redbird sounds like a great match for your purposes. If you are an experienced paddler you won't have any trouble with the boat and once you've paddled it, you may never want to paddle anything else!
Bailiff

Post by Bailiff »

The first and only (so far) canoe I built was the Redbird. I build it for week long trips in Quetico. So far she has kept us afloat even in a few whitecaps. Without much freeboard, my paddling partner tends to get a little nervous; but we have not come close to swamping it. Good luck, and enjoy the building process.
patrick pfeifer

Post by patrick pfeifer »

Hey bailif, How much gear (in pounds) did you have? And just out of curiosity, where abouts in quetico have you been? My dad and i were up there last year for a 9 day trip.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

I decided to go with the redbird, We ordered the plans today and they should be here by friday. Too bad i wont be back until 2 weeks from now, I am leaving on a 2 week backpacking trip. I hope my mom and brother clean out the garage while my dad and i are gone :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA

Patrick,
I hereby welcome you to the Honorable and Noble Brotherhood of Redbird Builders! As the newest member of HANBORB, you are hereby appointed to office of public relations. It is now your sole duty to explain to potential future members of HANBORB, that the Redbird is indeed the best canoe model on the planet.! Well, maybe with the exception of Kent's outrigger canoe. Anytime you see a message of concern about the Redbird's design, it is your responsibility to respond in a timely manner.
Welcome to the club!
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Since step number one is clean the garage (no, my brother and mom did not clean it while we were gone), i wont be able to start for ummm, about 15 years or so. (there is a LOT of stuff in there). I will keep you all posted on how it is going (and probably ask a few more questions). I still havn't decided weather or not to put in an inlay thing.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Hey Patrick,
Have you been away with your dad, or have you just been asleep at the switch?
There's two new 'Bird builders on board, one from South Africa and a Cobber form "down under." Why don't you welcome the aboard?
If you want something done, get in there and go for it.
G'Day Mate!

Dean in Eureka, CA
patrick

Post by patrick »

Yes dean, I have been away, i just got back from a 10 day 70 mile backpacking trip in new mexico.
Bob Friedrich

Post by Bob Friedrich »

For all you ardent Redbird fans- sorry I've changed my mind and opted for the Bobs Special. A couple of reasons, its a good 2' shorter and seeing I'll be building out of Aust hard wood- it will be lighter. Bob
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Well, isn't that something!!! I hereby welcome you to the Honorable and Noble Brotherhood of Bob's Special Builders! As the newest member of HANBOBS, please feel free to explain to potential future members of HANBORB, that the Redbird is not the only pile of sticks floating on the pond!!! :D
Dean in Eureka, CA

OOOOO!
Good One Dave!
Touche' My Good Friend!
I gotta say.... HANBOB does sound a little catchier than HANBORB
What can I say, You got me on that one.
Now get busy on that RLS or that gas guzzling halibut fetcher!

Dean in Eureka, CA