Brass Band

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Dayton

Brass Band

Post by Dayton »

I'm having trouble finding Brass Band for my stems and keel. Anyone, anyone? Thanks.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Bob/PA

Brass band

Post by Bob/PA »

Try www.jamestowndistributors.com--the indispensable source for all boat hardware, tools, and other great stuff.
Vern Spokane WA

Post by Vern Spokane WA »

If at all possible try and get the supplier to ship the pieces flat. The brass band I received was coiled up into a nice small coil. For me at least, cutting the tape and having the stuff take off was problem one. Then trying to get all of the bend out and re-bending onto the canoe the area previously bent would bend faster. Resulted in a lot more screws than I would of liked.
Maybe someone on the board knows of a quick and easy way to straigthen out coiled brass.
I can tell you who I got the stuff from because every time I mention the Company, the post gets deleted. The companies listed WERE Not the provider.

Post by Guest »

Flounder Bay has been sold and may no longer carry this. Jamestown Dist. will send you some, rolling it depending on the size or, otherwise, in a tube. Their catalog explains all this.
canoeguy

Post by canoeguy »

Hello, i have a question that may be obvious, but here it is. Can I extend the brass stem band all the way from one stem to the other under the canoe without having a keel? Thanks,
Glen Smith

End to end brass band

Post by Glen Smith »

Sure you can do it. After all it is YOUR boat, isn't it? But how do you propose to anchor it in place along the keel line if there is no keel? Most of the scratches on my canoe hull are closer to the turn of the bilge. Very few along the keel line. So, besides added weight and installation headaches, what good would this brass band be?
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I'm not sure what you could gain, but you could sure do it. If it were me, I would consider adding a keelson along the inside centerline of the floor of your canoe from the end of the inside bow stem to the end of the stern inside stem. Assuming a 7/8 inch wide inside stem, rip a 7/8 x 1/4 inch strip the length of your canoe, round over the exposed edges, and glue it in using a liberal amount of epoxy to make up the difference between the shape of the hull and flat bottom of the keelson. That way you would have something to affix the brass stem band into and it would cover the centerline (if the centerline didn't turn out like you wanted). Good luck!!