15' 0" Hiawatha

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Seats, Decks and Yoke are all ready now. They are layed out on the boat for rough positioning. Still have to sand the epoxy though. I am waiting for a warm day so I can open the garage door and have good ventilation. In the mean-time I will cut all the trim pieces to size just prior to installation.

Updated photo's at:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b265/arctic971/

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Well, The end is near. After installing the trim (seats, decks, yoke, gunwales) I am ready to do the final sanding of the surface and then apply the marine Varnish. I will do the outside first then the inside- right now I am on track to finish by the end of the month- I am just waiting for some warmer weather so I can open the outside doors for the sanding process (need the ventilation- that is why I went ahead and installed the trim first).

Updated photo's at:

Mark
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Almost there.

Today it was clear and 7 degrees C- I got the shop doors opened and spent about two hours sanding the epoxy on my boat. She is all "scratched" up now and has that cloudy/milky look to her- I sure do hope the varnish brings back her shine!
I am planning on doing the varnishing (at least one side) this weekend. After that it will just be stem bands and testing her out. Good thing- I go back to work in two weeks, and spring will be here soon!

On another note- I will once again be on the local Dragonboat team this year- 22 Paddlers, one steersman, and a whole bunch of fun- we did pretty decent last year. Pretty interesting Canoe there- wonder if anyone on the forum has built one? :thinking

Anyways, updated pictures (including one of last years Dragonboat Team on the photo- site:

Looking forward to finishing the job and taking her out!

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Started August 10th, 2005.
Finished March 27th, 2006.

That's right, as of today she is completed!

Mark
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Congratulations!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Bravo Mark :applause

Now we want launch pictures and no excuses about all the water in your area being frozen. :laughing
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Thanks guys.

The last coat of varnish is still drying as I write this.
I took a walk around Lac Lemay today- still about a foot of ice to melt- but soon, very soon!
I plan on making a paddle this summer, in the meantime Canadian Tire Paddles will have to suffice. This was the most challenging, "hands on" project I have done in a very long time. Some parts went amazingly well, especially the woodworking. Some parts were more difficult and frustrating, the fiberglass/epoxy wetout on the inside comes to mind!

I have learned a lot, and developed a real interest in boat building and design. I don't think it will be too long before I try a Kayak, (still have to convince Mama Bear though!)
I will post some updated photo's and launch photo's soon. I just want to get some pictures of her out of the shop, it is so "gloomy" in there.

In the meantime- a huge debt of gratitude to all the Bear Mountain Forum users, for thier posts, knowledge and support- especially Glen Smith, who was always there with expert advice and foresight. All of you guys on this forum are a class act- it truly has been a pleasure.

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Here are some new photo's of the finished boat. As you can see we are still waiting for the snow to melt:

Mark
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

There is some damn nice boats being built up there in Quebec. Great job. I hope you get to enjoy it on the water real soon. :applause
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Mark,

Nice looking canoe! I too am waiting for snow to melt. I am going to take my canoe out of the cellar for the first time this weekend.(Hope it fits through the door) :frightened
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Well the snow and ice have melted! About a week ago now. After work today I couldn't wait any longer. I topped the Canoe on my truck and drove to Lac LeMay in the heart of Hull. Then she got wet. I paddled her across and then around the lake. My first impressions are good. No Leaks!!! (not that I really expected any with all that epoxy I used). She was about as stable as I expected and sits nice and low in the water, the sheer comes up nicely on both ends- looks really good on and next to the lake. I am afraid I did not have the camera with me so no pictures yet (next time though).

I was impressed by the speed and am looking forward to trying her out with a second paddle, (this first time was a solo run). All in all a great first paddle with her and it felt very satisfying to paddle a boat that I made with my own hands. Got lots of looks from the people walking around the lake as well, I think they were curious and impressed, it all felt great. Will post pics next time I remember to load the camera when I go!
Now for a homebrewed beer to celebrate!

Mark, :smile
Cantley, Quebec.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Congratulations! Enjoy the brew and the canoe!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Mark, the first paddle in your hand-crafted canoe sure has a sweet taste to it, doesn't it? I still fondly remember my first launching, afterall it was only 5 years ago!

So, what ya' gonna' build next, huh?
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Build next: a 16 or 17 foot Kayak- still deciding on design, but it wont be built for a while.

Mark
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Some thoughts on the Hiawatha after a summer of paddling:

I had the Hiawatha out for the last 4 days on the Severn River (Muskoka's in Ontario). Thought I would post a few thoughts on it.

As a double paddle it is a fast and responsive boat. I was very impressed with the responsiveness with two padlers, (or one paddler and a load in the front). As a single paddle it was also nice, but much more sensitive to being pushed around by the wind- due to the high sheer line at the front end, nonetheless I was still able to control it with a little extra work.

She sits low in the water- not as much freeboard as I thought there would be, but I loaded here down with over 600 lbs. (three large people) and she still had a comfortable amount of freeboard to work with- probably about 4-5".

If I were to build her again, I would add a keel, just to stabilize her more with a single paddle- but I did not find her any more tippy than other canoes I have been in- although with a third person moving around in the centre (three in the boat) there were a few tense moments!

She gave me some great paddles this week on some beautiful waters- and looked great on the dock and in the water- lots of rubber neckers when she went by (even while driving with her on the roof of the car).

I have added a few photo's of her on the dock- One thing I found was when I wasn't out with her, and she was on the dock- I would sit there and stare at her- she just looked so good sitting there next to the water. (Sounds like I am talking about a girl now!).

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/arctic971/?

Still trying to decide what to build next- but before then my Hiawatha will be out much more these next few months- and I am really looking forward to being on the lakes of the Gatineau for the fall colours.

Any comments to this are welcome and encouraged.

Mark
Cantley, Quebec