Getting a straight keel line

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Yann Dubois

Getting a straight keel line

Post by Yann Dubois »

Thought I'd share another method I used lately, this time to obtain a straight cut lline down the middle of the hull after I finished laying the strips on one side. Basically, I believe I expanded on Ted Moore's method of using the chisel, then the plane. Where I deviated was in using the plane... Instead of using a small block plane, I used a 22" block plane, raised the hull off the molds at each station with 1/4" spacers, and was able to make smooth long sweeps with the plane from the center of the hull to the ends. The length of the plane allowed it to (often) span two stations at a time so I could focus on the cut. The result was a VERY straight keel line. I was surprised how well it worked. Here are a couple pictures illustrating it:

Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

I did the same (first time for me), but I made a bad mistake though... apparently I took off too much of the center, and strips didn't match in the center anymore :-((