Resin Question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
zpeteman

Resin Question

Post by zpeteman »

I'm completely new to using epoxy resin/fiberglass. I have just finished the hull and am nearly done fairing it and now I'm shopping my local area for a supplier for glass and resin. One boat shop has some helpful folks and good prices and gave me a quart of the resin they use to take home and test.

So here is my question. The resin is a reddish color. I was expecting it to be clear. I applied some to a test piece of wood and it looks fine on the wood. Is it supposed to be this reddish brown color or am I using the wrong stuff? I would prefer to retain as much of the color of the wood as possible.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

All of the resins I use have almost no color at all but the hardener does have either a slightly yellowish or reddish tint. When mixed together in the right proportion the resulting liquid should be no more than slightly amber in color. Mind you, I have not tried all epoxies. Oh yes, one other thing, a lot of hardeners will turn red if they are old as in not fresh.

Being in Florida, have you heard of or thought to check with: http://www.raka.com/ . They are in Fort Pierce and if you tell them what type of project you are working on they can provide you with all the right stuff at a reasonable price.

No, I have absolutely no connection with Raka. I have heard a lot of good things about them and just thought I would pass it on since you are in the same neck of the woods. BTW, if you order fiberglass cloth from them, insist that it be shipped neatly rolled up and not folded.
zpeteman

Post by zpeteman »

Thanks for the input. It is definitely the resin that is reddish, the hardener is crystal clear.

I have looked into Raka but was hoping for somewhere closer to home. Yes, they are in Florida but they are about as close to me as North Carolina is. I work for a non-profit organization and this canoe has been a project for me and the boys I work with. Unfortunately my organization has very strict purchasing guidlines for my shop and it's a real pain in the butt to buy things that aren't local.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The epoxy samples at this link: http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/Epoxtest.htm are from some of the most popular brands and I am sure none of them had red resin. Do you know the brand name of the sample you were given? Are you certain it is epoxy resin and not polyester resin? What info (if any) is on the can label?
zpeteman

Post by zpeteman »

No idea what brand. The shop owner pumped me a quart out of his 55 gallon drum to test. If no one here has used a resin that had a reddish color though, I don't think I want to venture into undiscovered territory with my first boat.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

My advice to first-timers is to use a known product that is well documented. Unfortunately this frequently means paying a high price. Good luck with your project.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Z,
Be sure that the resin is EPOXY, and not the older, hard resins the name of which I am totally blanking on right now. When I got started I visited several boat shops in the town where I lived and they were using the older resin in 55 gal drums. This stuff was used for castings and was used on early boats and canoes, but was very brittle and cracked and de-laminated very easily. You don't want to go down that road.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
cecbell

Post by cecbell »

Greg, are you by any chance referring to polyester resin? If so, that stuff can usually be identified by its strong, penetrating obnoxious odor. :td
Charles Campbell
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

THAT'S THE STUFF!!! You are right, it does smell strongly, too.

Greg
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

This is probably is even less "local" for you but I used US Composites (5101 Georgia Avenue, West Palm Beach, FL 33405 - http://www.shopmaninc.com/cinfo.htm). the price was right and the product was quite good (I am a rookie, so I don't have much glassing experience to qualify my rating of "good").

Good luck.

Snowman
Snowman back East
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Several builders are switching to US Composites and have reported good results and good savings. :eyebrows
zpeteman

Post by zpeteman »

The stuff definitely smells strong. If that's not normal for an epoxy resin then it must have been polyester. Glad I checked here before buying. Thanks guys.
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Z,
I have only used Raka epoxy, and it has a very mild, pleasant odor. It is very clear, and is thin, so it penetrates and wets out well. Larry is very helpful, and since you are trying to save $$'s you should look at this as it is about the most reasonably priced epoxy. I understand about the "local" issue, but they are in your state, maybe that would help convince the powers that be.

Good luck and post some pictures of you and the boys,

Greg
Oshan OkaPini

Vote for Raka as well

Post by Oshan OkaPini »

Z,

I opted for Raka because of the similarity of the weather conditions here in Mississippi to those in Florida. I figured that if it would work there, it would work for me as well. When I glassed the Freedom 17, it rained all weekend with the temps in the high 80s. Raka epoxy didn't even blink. It went on perfectly clear and smooth.

No runs, no drips, no errors. Great price too.

Norman in MS
Right now, there is no cure.