Epoxied the inside

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
George

Epoxied the inside

Post by George »

I just epoxied the inside of the canoe this past saturday with two coats of epoxy. Only issue I have is that there is an approximate 8"x5" area that didn't fill in very well. Is it an option to just lightly sand this area, go back and fill in this spot and then sand the whole area in about two weeks for uniformity. Or would I be better off waiting two weeks for it to fully cure and then hit that area. Or thirdly should I let it go, sand in two weeks and hope the varnish will help fill in the orange peel effect? Thanks in advance for the help.

Also thanks Bear Mountain for the new forum.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi George, I would lightly sand the area then apply a light coat of epoxy. Then I would place a piece of clear kitchen wrap over the area and run the squeegee over it to force out the excess epoxy. When you get to the edges apply greater force to the squeegee and squeegee right past the kitchen wrap. Remove the wrap the following day and you should have a decent patch that will be easier to feather in to the rest of the epoxy. It has worked well for me but I haven't tried an area that large. Keep us informed.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

I've only built one canoe, so this is a "for what it's worth." I tried on the inside of my Bobs to get the uniform two coat finish described in Canoecraft. Due to my inexperience with epoxy, it did not give the uniform appearance I was looking for.ie. some areas were glossy and some areas were dry. I ended up filling the voids and did a smooth finish. That turned out nice. I fussed around quite abit with this. What I learned was that on the two coat finish, it is real hard to put some more epoxy in a spot and fair it out to match the rest. You put the patch on, sand, and you hit the fiberglass despite the care. If you leave it high, you have a glossy spot. The answer seems to depend on your "perfection quota." Does the fill meet your standards for how it looks? Or, if it doesn't, should I go ahead and fill the weave?