New Solo Canoe - Freedom 15'3" and 16'2"

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

New Solo Canoe - Freedom 15'3" and 16'2"

Post by Joan and Ted »

Thank you to Steve and helpers for coming up with an exciting new design. Ted and I were just saying what a great collaboration this new solo boat has been and how fortunate we are to have access to such talent. Steve there you go again making us look good. Sonia shipped the first set off today to Chris Bull.
Now lets see who paddles the first one!
Joan
Chris Bull

Post by Chris Bull »

Thank you Steve, and Bear Mountain Boat Shop for the plans. They are excellent, and the detail is far above what you would expect. This is the fourth canoe that I wil be building using Bear Mountain's plans. Construction should begin at the end of the month for the Freedom 15'3" solo. It would be nice to have it finished for the Small Craft Builder's Rendezvous August 19th & 20th.

I would encourage anyone who has not built a canoe before to give it a try. With Canoecraft in had, it is like having Ted right there with you guiding you through each phase of construction.

Thank you so much agian,
Chris Bull
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Chris, congratulations on grabbing the first set of plans for this new design. I have created a thread in the "Project Directories" section for this design and you can post updates on the building process if you so desire. And don't forget pics, we love pics!

I hope to see this new boat at the Rendezvous.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I'm jealous. I added the plans to my birthday list, so I haven't ordered a set yet -- waiting to see what I get. I'm trying to finish up all my unfinished woodworking projects right now, so I can go full out on this one when I either get the plans for my birthday or buy them.

I look forward to watching you progress, Chris.
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I got my b-day gift of a set of plans. They're sweet!

So, the first thing that I had to do is pull out the plans for the Soul-Mate, which a friend of mine built, and I have to say that I like the look of the Freedom Solo much much better.

So, I'm just finishing the outfitting on my Siskiwit Bay and thinking about another S&G kayak before the Freedom, but having the plans in hand...

But, I'm working so much with my new guiding job that I'm not sure how fast anything will come together. I'm waiting a week or so before I decide which project to jump into.

The plans look great though, and this looks like it will be a really fun canoe!
Tim Eastman

Post by Tim Eastman »

Bryan Hansel wrote: But, I'm working so much with my new guiding job that I'm not sure how fast anything will come together. I'm waiting a week or so before I decide which project to jump into.
Freedom

Freedom

Freedom
(solo)
:cool

C'mon Bry - you can do it!
Tim Eastman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be an example worth following
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Thanks, Tim. I'm a stalling though. My problem is that I have two solo canoes that I love, and one tandem canoe that I love. I have one kayak that I love, but I want an kayak that is more playful, so I think that's going to be the next build... (If I could sell my two skin-on-frames, I'd be more motivated to start this new kayak.)

If I'd have known that winter on the Northshore was going to be so mild and lame, I'd have started a new kayak in my unheated shop for a winter project and used that cold weather epoxy, but I figured we'd have a normal MN winter. :(
Rapt

Anyone?

Post by Rapt »

Has anyone built one of these yet?

I'd love to see photos, hear paddling reports, etc...
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Anyone finish one of these yet?
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Anyone know if anyone has finished one of these yet????

It's still on the future agenda, but has been demoted to two boats down the line for me. But I'm want to hear how it paddles. Anyone?
Karl Huebner

Post by Karl Huebner »

Bryan:

I have the forms up for a Freedom 17... and the forms for this boat sitting on my work bench. Should be able to get one buillt this spring.

Karl Huebner
Sparetime

Freedom 15-3

Post by Sparetime »

Is the stem mold for the freedom 17 much different than the stem for the 15'3" boat? I have a 17 stem mold, and was curious if it could be used for the shorter boat, or if they were completely different.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

2 1/2 years have gone by now. Where are the pictures of this new boat???
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

It looks like everybody is waiting for someone else to build one first.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Well, I just ordered a set of plans. I'll be really disappointed if I'm actually first to build one of these (I won't get started for a few months).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com