Rice Lake Stripping Surprizes

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Juneaudave

Rice Lake Stripping Surprizes

Post by Juneaudave »

I don't know why I didn't see this....I ripped strips yesterday and for kicks...took one and set it on the molds to see where the starter strip might fall. I had assumed if I set it at the shear line amidships, that the starter strip would fall somewhere towards the middle at the stems and you would fill in to the shear at the bow (and that was what I had assumed roughing in the shape for the inside stem). Much to my surprize, the starter strip follows the shear almost exactly.

What's going on is that the sides of the skiff are flared as opposed to having a tumblehome. That causes a fair curve to approach the shear line much closer than in the Bob's Special I built last winter. In this case, a fair curve appears to be the shear. I don't have any other pics of Rice Lake skiffs to look at, but other boats like the Whitehalls and the Rangely Lake boats seem to do this also. On the positive side, guess that solves the problem of edge grain being exposed at the shear.

Lesson learned...the starter strip on flared sides lands much differently than on a boat this a lot of tumblehome. You need to check it before you get too far ahead shaping your stems.
psimer

Rice lake Skiff

Post by psimer »

I am thinking about building this skiff too. Are you the only one in the forum who has attempted it or am I just not seeing the posts or pictures from others?

I built a Prospector Ranger last summer. Its great but my wife wants a more stable boat.
For a canoe the Ranger is stable. It seems any canoe would be too tippy for her thus, my thought about this skiff.

I have read all your posts about it and am looking forward to some pictures. Why did you decide to build it?

Happy srripping! Dana