mold on outwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
fisher123

mold on outwales

Post by fisher123 »

How do i get rid of mold on my outwales? Will I have to replace them? Its a 16ft white guide by G. Gilpatrick. It didn't call for epoxy on them but i wish i would have now.
Thanks for your help! :D
Rick

Post by Rick »

Is it actually surface mold or more likely, the outwale starting to blacken from water soaking the wood from time to time. Try sanding the surface and see if the wood is OK underneath. Applying bleach, then washing it off might help... if the wood's starting to blacken and rot, like outwales normally do, a little blackening for antique aging might be acceptable if the strength isn't compromised. If the rot has gone too far, the outwale will need to be replaced... this is normal with wooden canoes, the outwale is often the first to go with ongoing wear and tear.
Riverrat

Post by Riverrat »

Fisher...all I saw in Gilpatrick's book was an 18.5 White Guide and a 20 footer. Where did you find a 16 footer?
Professionals built the Titanic; amatuers built the Ark!