WRC strip supplier

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Woodwizard

WRC strip supplier

Post by Woodwizard »

Looking to buy my strips pre-milled for my first canoe. Haven't had much luck in finding a source for clear WRC planks here on the east coast. Hate to buy (sight unseen).Any suggestions on a good supplier of 20' premilled WRC strips.
DortoH

Post by DortoH »

www.noahsmarine.com sells pre-milled bundles. I think Bear Mountain Boats does, or did.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

I got beautiful, precisely milled 20 ft. cedar from Newfound Woodworks in NH. Ask for Michael Vermouth, a great help with all my needs and questions.

http://www.newfound.com/aboutnw.htm

Kent
Woodwizard

FlounderBay Strips

Post by Woodwizard »

Has anyone gotten cedar strips from Flounderbay?
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Hey Woodwizard,
What part of the country are you from?
Almquist Lumber in Blue Lake, CA is considering getting into bead and cove WRC and doing trick prefabed accent strips.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Woodwizard

Post by Woodwizard »

I'm in New Jersey, Dean
Rod Tait

wood supplier

Post by Rod Tait »

Ian McGrath of Great Northern Craft is one of the main suppliers for Bear Mountain and can be found on this site. He is on the west coast, but I can certainly vouch for the quality as I have used lots of it in my boats. After shipping and duties and the Can. dollar, I believe that you will find prices comparable.

Good luck in your search
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Hey Woodwizrd,
Well, I would guess that wouldn't be very cost effective getting your strips from these guys out here in Northern California. At least you are close to sources for 20' ash if you need it.
Read back through the posts, because some guys were talking about pre milled strips a while ago. I remember one guy was very happy with the color matching, but I can't recall where he said he bought them.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Woodwizard

Post by Woodwizard »

Hey Dean,

Yes ...almost every good lumber yard here has or can obtain 20' Ash.
Steve Lansdowne

Founder Bay

Post by Steve Lansdowne »

I recently read on another boat site that Flounder Bay has been sold and will be focusing on wood for guitars, I think it was.
sedges

woodwizard have you found your strips

Post by sedges »

If you don't mind a trip to NE Georgia I will mill 20 footers for you. I have a good supplier of clear WRC up to 20 feet. I think you can send message through the personal messages if you are interested.
Bob/PA

Go native

Post by Bob/PA »

Have you considered northern white cedar? After all, that's what the original canoe builders in NJ (the Lenape) used for their boats. My guess is that you would have trouble finding full-length boards and I'm not aware of a major commercial supplier of milled strips of white cedar. But lots of boats have been built with butt-joined strips and you can always mill your own strips (or build without c&b--I've done it and it isn't difficult). Just a thought.
Riverrat

Sedges....

Post by Riverrat »

Sedges...email me if you would. I'd like to discuss WRC and milling.
Professionals built the Titanic; amatuers built the Ark!