2 Part LPU Varnish Question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jeff in Pembroke

2 Part LPU Varnish Question

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

I'm considering using Interlux's 2 part Perfection varnish for my redbird. I know the oneoceankayaks site mentions this finish is more brittle than one part varnishes, but it is also tougher.
Has anyone used a 2 part LPU varnish on a stripper and could comment on the result?
These hulls are pretty stiff and I doubt flex is a problem but I'd like to hear from anyone who's actually used it.
Kurt Loup

Perfection Varnish

Post by Kurt Loup »

I've used it. It is very clear with a good gloss and appears to be durable. It doesn't scratch easily. The drawbacks are fumes and cost. It is recommended that you only use a specific thinner. I can't remember for sure, but I don't think the thinner is necessary. It has been a year since I last used it. I paid about $50 for the varnish from West Marine. I think the thinner is about $20. I'm certain West Marine isn't the cheapest source out there. There is enough to do more than one boat though. In fact, I also finished my canoe with it, but I only did one coat due to time constraints. It needs another coat or two, especially on the bare wood gunwales. You will definitely need a respirator to apply it unless you enjoy working in strong fumes. I used a foam brush to apply the finish. Prior to using Perfection Varnish, I tried the waterbased System 3 LPU varnish and didn't care for it as it is a matte finish. Other than price and fumes, I don't have any complaints with PV. Attached is a picture of my Outer Island that I finished with the PV. The photo quality is not very good.

Kurt

Kurt Loup

Merlin

Post by Kurt Loup »

Here's the Merlin with PV.

Kurt

Jeff in Pembroke

Perfection Varnish

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

Thanks for the info Kurt, I'm going to give Perfection a try.
If I ever get this boat finished I'll try and post some pictures.

Jeff