What build method are these guys using?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
JoeLewis

What build method are these guys using?

Post by JoeLewis »

Just by looking at the pictures can anybody tell what materials and construction method these guys are using?

http://www.luv2paddle.com/cgi-bin/forum ... ms=landick
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Total guess: Cedar strip plug. Carbon fiber boat.
Doug

Post by Doug »

I believe it to be a carbon boat as well.
The book "Building Your Kevlar Canoe" by James Moran, is a good starting point for its building principals.

All the best,

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Doug

Post by Doug »

Here is the only Kevlar (Carbon) building site that I know of.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KevlarCanoe/

Anyone know of any more?

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
JoeLewis

Post by JoeLewis »

I think they're using divinycell foam strip built, carbon covered. Do you guys think it would be feasible to use 1/8 inch foam sandwiched between carbon fiber, s-glass and kevlar?
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I'd try a test panel before trying it on a boat or contact the builders and ask them what they use.
JeremyT

Post by JeremyT »

Joe, you can do it.
I used some foam on my boat. It's a long story but I made a foam sabot. I should get some hosting and post a bic. It woulded fine. I didn't use divinycell but I used last-a-foam instead just because it was cheaper.
Since I put graphite on the bottom of my boats I'll likely just be making the bottom of my boats out of this in the future. Not as pretty on the inside as cedar but it's super easy to work with.