First post

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Plug Nickel

First post

Post by Plug Nickel »

This is my first post and I am a first time boat builder. I started in March by lofting the forms from CanoeCraft. I figured that if I wanted to learn I should take the project thru from the beginning. I am building a Bobs Special amd have completed glassing the inside and now I am preping the wood for the gunnels. I have had few suprises thanks to all of the members of this forum. A big thank you goes to Ted Moores for CanoeCraft and KakakCraft, Steve Killing for his design work, Glenn Smith and John Michne for their websites of excellent information.

I started out the project because I wanted to learn the process. I purchased WRC 2x6 actual dimension and machined the wood to come out with very respectable bead and cove strips. Yes it is a lot of "work" but I have found it quite a bit of fun. My wife and I were talking and I realized that even though I have "made" a lot of stuff this is the first time that I created something more.

I want to encourage all of you that are just starting a project. Mistakes are made but those should be treated as a reason to be creative!
Craig Nickel

pictures at: http://flickr.com/photos/Gpaplug

Pinch me! I can't believe I created the whole thing!
Bassbug

Post by Bassbug »

Craig,

I just wanted to say that I had the same feelings when I built my first boat. All the woodworking I had done gave me experience but somehow "creating" a boat was an exceptional feeling. Thanks for you words - and hey, your Bob's looks great - do you have more pictures somewhere?

Dale
Plug Nickel

Post by Plug Nickel »

Dale, Thank you for the kind words. I have not posted any other pics yet. I have to sit down and find a place to host them. I will post a url when I get pictures posted.

It is certainly a small world because my sister and family live in Lincoln.
Craig Nickel

pictures at: http://flickr.com/photos/Gpaplug

Pinch me! I can't believe I created the whole thing!