Two questions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
zpeteman

Two questions

Post by zpeteman »

1. Should the length of my thwart be the beam measurement on the plans? My canoe is physically 32'' wide(on the inside) at the center and the beam is specified as 33 1/2. Should I make the thwart 33 1/2 and stretch the canoe to fit? (it will do so easily). Or should I cut the thwart to fit the canoe as it sits.

2. I'm probaly just blind, but I can't find anywhere in Canoecraft where it specifies what kind of varnish to use. Is there a special kind? Marine varnish? Or will any run of the mill brand varnish work?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Pete
Gene Burreson

Post by Gene Burreson »

1. Take the thwart measurement from the center station mold, or the plans. If you are mounting the thwart below the inwale you will have to account for the depth of the inwale when taking the measurement. Also if you have a lot of tumblehome you should bevel the end of the thwart so it is flush with the inside of the hull. If you cut it square on the ends you could have a gap at the bottom.

2. You have to use a marine spar varnish with UV inhibitors to protect the epoxy. Epifanes seems to be a favorite, but there are many other brands that will work. Normal varnish is not appropriate.

Good luck,
Gene
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Two answers:

1) Measure the width of station 0 at the sheerline. Make the thwart this long or slightly shorter (1/8" to 1/4") if you want to keep the ends of the thwart from touching the inner hull (recommended). I cut the thwart to length, tape a piece of popsicle stick on each end as shims, position thwart beneath inwale in proper location then drill the bolt holes through the inwales and the thwart. Remove the shims and insert the bolts. Check to be sure thwart ends aren't touching inner hull. Remove thwart and seal the freshly cut ends.

2) Using a good quality Marine Spar Varnish will provide maximum protection from UV rays My personal preference is Epifanes Gloss but there are other good ones out there. This is one product that the price increases as the quality increases. A good varnish will run about $30 per quart and you will need 2 quarts.
zpeteman

Post by zpeteman »

Thanks for the quick replies. Taking the thwart measurement from the station mold should have been a no brainer, duh.
zpeteman

Post by zpeteman »

Minwax spar varnishI can get this easily locally:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Pros/Cons?

What exactly would I paying more and travelling farther get me?

Any chance anyone knows of an Epifanes supplier in North Florida? Couldn't find much on the net.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I haven't tried the Minwax Helmsmans yet but it is quite popular. You can contact the USA distributor for Epifanes at this email: epifanes@maine.com and ask them who sells their products in your area.

I have used an economy spar varnish on one boat but I find it yellows faster than other brands and it also loses its gloss faster.
pwstndrf

Epifanes Source

Post by pwstndrf »

zpeteman,

Keep an eye on Jamestown Distributor's web site, Mail order, New England. They just ran a special on it @ $19.95 per Liter. Their regular price is $24.95. If you plan to use Silicon Bronze Carrage Bolts, and other supplies you can reduce the impact of shipping and save some $. They have almost everything you'll need.

Good luck,

phil w.
zpeteman

Post by zpeteman »

Thanks
Dell Littlefield

Post by Dell Littlefield »

If you have a West Marine store nearby, they handle Captains spar varnish which is good. I have Minwax Helmsman on my cedar strip mailbox. I have to revarnish it every year as it cannot stand up to the Florida sun longer than that. A group of us have a get together every year in the Okefenokee Swamp at Stephen Foster State park for three days paddling. This year it will be Nov 2-5. Come paddle with us.