graphite bottom

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
packy

graphite bottom

Post by packy »

I'm finally getting around to graphiting my bobs bottom. Problem is I'm not sure the ratio
of my mixture, epoxy-cabosil-graphite, can someone refresh my memory? Thanks in advance. Packy
Glen Smith

Graphite

Post by Glen Smith »

Rod Tait

graphite

Post by Rod Tait »

Packy,
I read the link that Glen has provided with interest. It poses some thoughts. The writer states that graphite is a lubricant which it is, and then goes on to question why he got "orange peel" on the second and third coats.

My experience is that you want to get all the thick graphtie mixture on the bottom in one coat, dark enough and thick enough to protect your hull, since sanding the surface will be hard to do and the next coat will not stick well to the first since graphite is indeed a "lubricant".
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I applied three coats of epoxy/cabosil/graphite to one hull bottom and I did not experience the orange peel effect. I did not have adhesion problems either. I applied the first coat and waited two days then sanded it smooth before applying the second coat and did the same for the third. I only applied one coat of straight epoxy to the cloth before doing the graphite treatment to reduce weight. This stuff is very hard and messy to sand. You will go through a lot of sanding disks and the black dust will get absolutely everywhere. Try to do it outside if possible and make sure no-one has clothes out on their lines if it's windy.
Jim D

Post by Jim D »

I have used System Three's epoxies, both the System Three and their Cleat Coat... also used their graphite powder which I mixed by volume of 3 part mixed epoxy to 1 part graphite.... I applied one thin coat, and while it was still tacky, I applied the second... Adhesion was not a proplem but a slight rippling occured... I scraped while it was still soft the next day, and sanded a week later, it worked... My biggest concern was removing the masking tape before the graphite coats were too hard!.. System Three stated that the rippling was due to too thick an application.