Cutting strips

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Rob from Hamilton

Cutting strips

Post by Rob from Hamilton »

Okay, I'm sitting here with my strongback up and my stations in place, all ready to start stripping. I've got 20' long clear cedar planks but I can't find anyone to rip them for me. Does anyone out there have any ideas? I would prefer someone in Hamilton (Ontario) or surrounding area, but I am willing to travel a short distance. I need to get these cut.
Any suggestions other than Aitchison Lumber and Exotic Woods? I've even tried a professional shop but they couldn't handle the lengths.
Let me know.
Rob
Rick

Post by Rick »

Rob, cabinetmakers may be able to rip them for you, try the yellow pages.
Fred G

Post by Fred G »

There are lots of ways to rip them yourself. If you do a bit of searching this forum and the guillimot forum, there are some people ripping with skil saws.
Kerry

Post by Kerry »

Rob,

Try posting a message on here:

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/

I believe there are some woodworkers from Hamilton on there and you might find someone quite willing to do it for you for the price of a case of refreshments or a few dollars.

Good luck.

Kerry
davidb54321

Post by davidb54321 »

Rob,

If you want to use the entire length of your board, I would recommend the Skil-saw method. With a good, thin-kerf blade you can make excellent strips without spending a lot on tools and it is easier to move the saw than the long boards. I ripped all my own strips from 20' boards and have only 2 scarf joints in my Prospector. Having said that, next time I will have more joints because it was a lot of work handling the long strips in the small work space I used to build my canoe.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process, from ripping, routing the bead & cove, color matching, etc. It was/is a very rewarding experience. You will love the stares and remarks you get with your finished canoe.
David Bartlett

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"
http://photobucket.com/albums/b81/davidb54321/
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

I agree that the skillsaw method works well. I had done very little woodworking for the previous 30 years when I cut my strips from 20' clear cedar boards. I made a website describing the process partly so I could remember how to do it:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~durgerian/id5.html

I did not rout the edges of the strips shown in the website. For a good description of that and many other things, see John Michne's site:

http://www.michneboat.com/Making%20Strips.htm
Alan
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

I've found the skilsaw method much more enjoyable than a table saw.

Here's how I did it: http://www.nessmuking.com/mykayak4.htm
AlanWS

Post by AlanWS »

The splitter, that I called a "spreader" in my diagram, will help to prevent kickback of the circular saw.
Alan
Rob from Hamilton

Good Ideas, as Usual

Hi Guys,
This will be our fourth canoe, but these little problems seem to still pop up.
I like that circular saw method. It might be a good reason to go out and buy a new one! I'm so used to using my power mitre saw, I hardly use my circular saw anymore.
Thanks for the ideas guys!
Rob
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I'm on board with with the skillsaw method too!
I first learned of this technic from the Minnesota Canoe Assc., and it is still the best trick I've learned!
Good luck!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Pedro

Cutting strips

Post by Pedro »

Hi Rob,
Did you use the skill saw method? If so how did it go? A question for you or Alan, Bryan, or Jim. Do you thickness / plane strips before they are beaded & coved. I did a test run on some pine with my 7 1/4 Makita with a not so sharp thin blade and they came out incredibly even and smooth. Thanks for any input.
Pedro.
"Things should be as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein
Rob from Hamilton

Cutting Strips

Hi Guys,
Sorry to disappoint, but I just wasn't able to use the skill saw method. I had already set up my forms, and levelled my stronback, and didn't want to have to do that all over again, and I had no other place to try it. Plus, as I mentioned before, my saw isn't in the best shape. I hardly use it anymore and just didn't really trust myself. I ended up asking a friend to cut them, who is a canoe builder. He understood what I needed, and used a thin kerf blade on his radial arm saw, so I ended up with about a canoe and a half worth of wood. Plus, he kept all the strips in order, so we were able to easily match up strips.
Yes, it cost a few dollars, but it did save me time.
For my next boat, I might go out and buy a new saw, with a nice thin blade, and try it.

By the way, these strips are very smooth, with good thickness consistency, and didn't need to be planed.

Rob from Hamilton
JNewman

Post by JNewman »

If I had seen your post earlier Rob we could have worked somthing out I am in Hamilton and have a Patternmaking shop. I have my strongback and moulds hanging from the ceiling right now. I started cutting my strips but got too busy, come fall I am going to get moving on the canoe.
Rob from Hamilton

Cutting strips in Hamilton

Hi JNewman,
That's funny because the first guy I contacted to cut the strips was a patternmaking shop. They tried but after one cut, gave up. I guess they just didn't have the room they needed, and they were nervous about giving me the consistency I was looking for.
I'm still interested though. If you let me know, I wouldn't mind looking at your strips, and maybe you can cut some more for me later.
See, my trouble is, we cut enough for 1 1/2 boats, so we might be "forced" to build another one!
Rob from Hamilton
JNewman

Post by JNewman »

That was probably my next door neighbor. My shop is a little smaller but I can open my back door and have more room for long cuts. I am cutting my strips from 14' long 8/4 lumber because I have about 200bf of that in my rack. I have cut some boards to 7/8" x 1 7/8". I have three of the diablo blades that I plan on stacking so i can cut three strips at once.