Mounting brass stem bands

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
David James

Mounting brass stem bands

Post by David James »

Hey guys,

I'm just about to order my brass stem bands (3/8" cove backed) from Noah's, and was wondering what else I might need for the job. Should I be ordering some sort of bedding compound for the screw holes while I'm at it?

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
Pete in the Deep South

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

I used rectangular shaped brass stem band material ordered from "Online Metals"....found them using google search. I drilled hole for the brass screws, but didn't countersink. I pulled the stem down tight into some thickened epoxy, and after a few days hacksawed off the screw heads. I filed and sanded the stem smooth. Looks good!

Also, they sell some brass plate that could be used to make canoe sailing hardware. :thinking
KG4YOL
Armin, Germany

Re: Mounting brass stem bands

Post by Armin, Germany »

hi dave,
i just fixed the stem band with little brass-screws and thickened epoxy. if you want to have a look:
http://groups.msn.com/Kanubau/shoebox.msnw?Page=3
it´s really difficult to find the place were i used the screws, and i think it´s gonna last forever ...
found the exact how-to-information here on the board with the search function.
greetings from germany,
armin
Rob from Hamilton

Mounting Brass Stem Bands

Post by Rob from Hamilton »

On my first Redbird I mounted 3/8" cove backed brass stem bands. I used a bedding compound (no silicone) and countersunk stainless steel screws with oval heads. I guess I could have used brass screws, but I couldn't find them with oval heads. If you take your time, and centerpunch before drilling, it works out great!
Oshan OkaPini

Post by Oshan OkaPini »

David,

I mounted the stem band by evenly predrilling and countersinking the holes in the brass before installing. I set one end of the band flush to the gunnel, drilled a small pilot hole in the stem and screwed in a stainless steel screw (the same size as the brass screws). I then wrapped the stem band tight against the stem, using a rubber mallet to close the gaps and repeated the pilot drilling and attaching until I came to the other end of the stem. I marked the brass at the point where I wanted the stem band to end. I removed the screws, cut and shaped the ends of stem band, put a dab of epoxy in the holes in the stems, dipped the threads of new brass screws in melted wax and reassembled the band.

I purposefully did not bed the stem bands. Sometime in the future you will probably need to remove the brass hardware either to repair or revarnish the hull and removal would be very difficult.

Norman in MS
Right now, there is no cure.