cleaning dust from hull

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
camper1

cleaning dust from hull

Post by camper1 »

getting ready to apply epoxy sealer coat... any good way to remove sawdust dust fines from hull?
philz

Re: cleaning dust from hull

Post by philz »

camper1 wrote:getting ready to apply epoxy sealer coat... any good way to remove sawdust dust fines from hull?
The rule is to not contaminate the surface. Use a slightly moist, not wet piece of cheesecloth, wipe the shell down, then allow to dry. This way there is nothing foreign on the wood. When I varnish, I make tack cloths by mixing 50:50 the varnish I'll be using, and thinner(as per the label), then squeeze as dry as possible. Good luck.
philz
camper1

Post by camper1 »

someone mentioned "swiffer" wipes, i believe. other then that, i guess a moist cloth would be best.
Rob from Hamilton

Wiping down before epoxy

Post by Rob from Hamilton »

Best way is to blow it off with compressed air. Once you apply a moist cloth, it'll raise the grain a bit, and some guys will want to sand that off again anyway. Best way is compressed air. Second best is damp cloth. Why would anyone waste a Swiffer?
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Shop vac, followed by a really cool tack cloth that I picked up a while ago. It's a microfiber cloth with no sticky stuff added to the fibers. The fibers naturally pick up dust, so there is nothing on the cloth to contaminate the wood. I believe I found it at Wal Mart.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

If you're sealing bare wood, a vacuum will be enough!
Those towels Bryan suggested should work!
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!