decks first or outwales first

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders

decks first or outwales first

Post by guest »

Can someone tell me which should be installed first - decks or outwales. I already have inwales installed.

thanks
Kent

Post by Kent »

I made my decks out of strips 3/4" wide by 1/2" thick. Since I put a splash guard on the deck that had to be attached before gluing the deck in place, I installed the outwales first, faired the deck to the outwales, installed the splashguard, then glued the deck in. If there was no splashguard, I'd have installed the deck, then the outwales, then faired the deck to the outwales. Doesn't Ted do the latter in Canoecraft?
Kent
Nachako

What came first

Post by Nachako »

I found that I had a hard time clamping my decks to the inwales. So I put in a couple of #8 1 1/4 screws to pull every thing tight. Then covered them up with the outwale. Just make sure you mark where the screws are to avoid them if you screw in your outwales

Post by Guest »

I got the decks mounted first, apart from thickened epoxy, I also used some screws for this. I thought this was the surest way to do this in this stress area. It was a stress area because I by mistake made my decks a little too narrow.
Next came the inwales which I mounted temporarily with screws (predrilled holes in hull and inwale), just an easy way to make sure the inwale stays in place while positioning and the thickened epoxy setting.
Removed the inwale screws after the thickened epoxy had set, and covered up the holes of the screws while mouting the outwale. The outwile was glued with thickened epoxy only.
I previously shaped (rounded the edges with block plane and sanded by hand) the in- and outwales prior ro mounting them. Shaping is much easier if you have the right machinery (router) for this.

Some pics about this are available on http://users.pandora.be/kano-kayak