Reliance Kayak

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Gord

Reliance Kayak

Post by Gord »

I am about to get started on the 20'6" reliance kayak, it will be my fourth Kayak project, if
anyone has any tips on this one I would love the feedback. On this large of boat weight is a concern, so all the tips on saving weight will be welcome.

Thanks gc
ChipSandresky

Re: Reliance Kayak

Post by ChipSandresky »

Hi Gord, I built it. It is a large boat but I think you will enjoy its speed and grace. I used multiple layers of tight-weave fiberglass in order to keep weight down. The fabric was Raka's 3.2oz satin weave. I did two layers inside and out with a third layer on the outside football. It is very solid and I can actually move the boat by myself. I estimate its weight to be around 50lbs. The tight weaves tend to require less epoxy.

I ended up doing an open cockpit configuration which seems to work well for the flatwater application I built if for. I can always go back and fill-in the cockpit area like a regular tandem if I want... maybe when the kids get a little older :)

Chip
http://www.LorettaAndChip.com