16' 6" Resolute

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

16' 6" Resolute

Post by Joan and Ted »

Use this forum to post information specific to your 16' 6" Resolute project. Use POST REPLY when posting information. Please stay on topic. For general boatbuilding discussions, please use the Builders Forum instead.
Denis

Resolute_2006

Post by Denis »

I built a Resolute a few years ago and I am going to tackle another with some modifications to the original specs. We shall see how I make out over the next few months before the weather puts a halt to building in my old woodshed .

I think I will build it 12" longer and 1" deeper. I weigh in at 260 lbs and find my current boat a bit cramped.

Looking about for material I ran into a chap who used to resaw red cedar for one of the local lumber yards and he squirreled away the long cutoffs thinking to build or repair a canoe someday. The cutoffs are 10', 12' and 14' in length and average 3/8" in thickness. The boards have been stored for about 30 years in the loft of an old shed and kept dry.

First job was to plan them down to 1/4 inch. this took approx 5 hours . Luckily I have a thickness planner and a large dust collector so the dust and dirt were kept to a minimum. I ended up with almost 80 strips 1/4" by 1 1/2". Only 5 planks were flat sawn and set aside. The rest are all edge grain and range in colour from dark brown to mostly midbrown with a few white boards.

They are just over 1 1/2" wide for the most part and I think my thin kerfed diablo blade (1/16th inch) will leave me with 2 planks each being 3/4 inches wide. I set up my table saw with my set of board buddies and a jig I used before to cut planking. I had a few planks end up a bit shy of 3/4 inches and have set them aside. If needs be I will resaw them to 5/8" and use them for the bottom.

I got most of the shorter stock sawed and then my table saw motor died :crying
Took it into shop and hopefully will get it back this week.

I will show my progess or lack of it in a photo bucket album

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/ ... lute_2006/

That's my progress so far.

Denis
Last edited by Denis on Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denis

Progress!!

Post by Denis »

Well the motor was toast!!! Got them to order a new 1 1/2 hp motor after getting a pricey quote from Sears. Motor arrived yesterday and was installed last night. I am not real happy with the old pulleys as they seem to be a bit out of round and hard to instal on the motor shaft. Looks like a new belt would be a good idea as well.

Final tweak today and the rest of the planking is sawn. The board buddies worked extremely well and I had no difficulty keeping the cuts even. I have it sorted kinda by colour and length. I also number each matched pair in each bundle in case I need to have them sorted that way for colour and grain.

Tuesday Sept 12/06
Got the stems cut steamed and formed yesterday. Also split the old forms to add a 1 inch extension in hull height. Glued them in using pinch dogs and 1 pipe clamp in the middle. Also glued on 1/8th inch pine strips above the splice which i then sanded down in a fair curve to where the sheer clamp starts.

Wednesday Sept 13/06
Reshaped the decks from the cockpit area to the stern of the boat. I was aiming for about a 4 inch flat area behind the cockpit to take the pressure off the deck apex as I enter the boat with paddle behind me. I simply measured 2 inches each side of the centre line to the deck surface then sanded it off with sanding disc in table saw. As i got about two stations befind the deck area I reduced the amount of material removed to 1 1/2 inches then 1 inch at the last station. Gently rounded the edges that were produced. I tried a couple of short pieces of planking over the new edges formed and I think they will be fine. Not quite as sharp as a hard chined boat would be. It will be interesting to see how my rear hatch will turn out.

Friday Sept 13/06
Rough cut the sheer clamps and cut them on a taper so I could glue them up to get the length required. Glued up and left clamped to dry. Glued up the bow stems with epoxy and left to dry overnight. Made some new feather boards for my router table in preparation for bead and coving the hull strips.

Sat and Sunday Sept 17 and 18

Sat-beaded most of my strips and did some setup in shed. I think the strongback is as straight as it's going to be. Used the string line under and over it. My centre line is still bang on after four years of sitting in the shed with stuff piled high on it. Quite an endorsement for following Ted's directions on making the strongback.

Sunday I planned on getting the forms set up. Ran into a snag and spent most of the day correcting the problem with the rear stem mold. I had built a new one and screwed up the waterline. After triple checking I recut it and tweaked it up and now so far all my waterlines are level. Chance of rain tonight and tomorrow so I ran my sheer clamp through the tickness planer till i was 3/4 by 7/8. At 19 feet it is simply too long to work on in house. Cleaned up my mess and called it a day.

Monday Sept 18

Progress!!! Got the forms set up today. A bit of a glitch with station 3. I think it was an inherited one from my last boat. I ended up switching the position of the station and now it lines up ok. The Inner stems are in place and partially shaped. Got dark and started to rain so I closed up shop. I need to run an extension cord in for lighting.

Tuesday Sept 19

Installed sheer clamps then discovered a problem. OOPS I put station 4 to 7 on the wrong side of the blocks. No wonder one station kept showing unfair. Easily fixed but that will be tomorrow as I am out of time and light. Where are those lights I put away for just such a project :thinking

Thursday Sept 21

Fixed the stations that were out of wack and installed first two rows of planking.

Friday Sept 22

Glue does not flow well when left in shed overnight :laughing

Another couple of rows of planking on then off to the International Plowing Match for the rest of the day

Sat and Sunday Sept 23/24

Got some planking done both days. 12 planks now installed. The turn at the stern is coming up so decided to let what was done dry then tackle the next part. Got the inner stems shaped. Washed glue off of saw and stapler.

Monday Sept 25

Routed some more planking with the help of a friend who dropped by to see what I was doing. Nice to have a helper. Finished sides and planked to centre line on one side.

Denis

hull stripped

Post by Denis »

Wednesday Sept 27/2006

Hull is stripped. A few errors I thought I would not make again but it has been awhile since the last one. Chance of rain for the next few days so I may not start fairing process till a nicer day arrives.

Thursday Sept 28/2006

Installed the outer stems today. The bow cutout looks like a mass of toothpicks. The stern cutout was almost perfect and done in no time. Looks like I need to practice my stem cutout procedure a bit more. :laughing

Friday Sept 29/2006

Stems shaped today and staples pulled. Started fairing the exterior with block plane and spoke shave. Picked up my fiberglass and epoxy today from Bear Mountain Boats. Sounds like next Thursday is going to be sunny so that may be my epoxy day. I had better check my wifes schedule (she's the epoxy mixer Queen :-)

Saturday Sept 30/2006

Finished shaping with block plane and spokeshave. Filled in a few spots. Sanding is next.
Last edited by Denis on Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Good job Denis! At this rate you might be paddling before freeze-up. :rolling eyes
Denis

Resolute_2006

Post by Denis »

Sunday Oct 1/2006

Did the first sanding today with ROS 80 grit. With only one light source on I found it showed me any ripples or unfaired sections of hull. I have some voids and cracks to fill. Wet out the hull with water to raise grain. It also showed me some fill areas that I didn't clean up enough.

I totally forgot to take any pics of stem installation although I did mention earlier when I was doing it.

Denis

October Progress

Post by Denis »

Friday Oct 6 2006

Got the final (?) sanding done this afternoon.

Saturday Oct 7 2006

A few spots opened up and a board splintered on me in two places from cracks I didn't notice. Mixed up some epoxy and sanding dust , taped the cracks and filled them in. Removed the tape shortly afterwards.

Sunday Oct 8 2006

Scraped the filled areas with paint scraper and sanded with 120 grit by hand till any excess had been removed. Waited till after lunch for the temp to rise above 10 C and then laid cloth out on boat and formed it over bow. It didnt quite stay in place but all in all I am satisfied with it. Got my brother-in-law to mix for me while I applied the epoxy and introduced him to the art (?) of squeeging. :laughing

Went out after supper (groan) and did the second coat of epoxy to fill the weave.

Monday Oct 9 2006

Waited till about 11 am for temp to rise to 15 C Looked like rain this aft so I decided not to wait any longer and did the 3rd coat of epoxy. Of course once I was done the sun came out and it was a gorgeous day. Kept watch over the afternoon for drools etc but only found a few. 1 honeybee and 2 flies decided to check it out as well. Looks like I will have little feet stuck in the boat :-) Trimed off the excess cloth after supper ( yep more turkey)
Hard to get a good pic with all the glare. I will try and get one when I removed boat from the strongback perhaps tomorrow afternoon.

Tuesday Oct 10 2006

Removed the hull from the strongback and setup supports on strongback and replaced boat in shed deck side up. I had a mixture of support forms and seem to be missing some of the original resolute ones. Poor planning on my part. I should have made sure I had them before starting the boat. Removed the risers and shaped the sheer clamps to be fair with the deck lines. this time I used plastic between the sheer clamp and the hull. Went on quite easily by loosening each screw holding the hull to the sheerclamp and form and inserting plastic film, then retightening screws. Shaped the sheer clamp primarily with block plane and some spokeshave. Resharpening is now in order. All is ready now to instal the covering boards which run from bow to stern along the sheer clamp.

Saturday Oct 14 2006

Looked like a nicer day so I decided to work on installation of the cover boards for the deck. I had installed plastic film between the sheerclamp and the hull earlier in the week. Read Kayakcraft again and cut the mitres for the bow and stern. I wasn't going to use staples but in the interests of getting it done with less mess while working alone I went with stapling the first two planks as well as using clamps. Temp is about 6 C here today with a mixture of ice pellets and sunshine. Quite warm in the sun. Now if only Indian Summer would get here and stay for a couple of weeks I could git-r-done :laughing

Sunday Oct 15 2006

Glued on the other covering boards and installed the kingplank (down the middle board)
No power this aft and too dark to work without light. Glue is drying ok even though it is cool. (5 C ) A more promising forcast for tomorrow so hopefully I get quite a bit of the deck stripped.

Monday Oct 16 2006

A marathon day but didnt get the deck finished. A few oopsies today. Forgot to allow 3/4 inch for fitting decks a few times. Luckily it was not critical as I was able to cut the plank in the cockpit area which is removed anyway. Tried to do most of my short plank matchups in the cockpit area for that reason. I also stapled down the deck in this same area which helps to keep the deck from rising too much off the forms while I was planking stapleless over most of the deck. I do not have enough clamps so I used this method instead

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/ ... detail.jpg

Tuesday and Wednesday Oct 17 and 18 2006

Started to finish deck Tuesday afternoon, very wet and damp. Lost power in shed that evening. Wednesday morning finished deck by noon. Final fitted pieces went in easily, I had been dreading that part lol. Now if only the glue would dry lol

Thursday Oct 19 2006

got a few hours done this morning fairing the deck with block plane, spokeshave and 80 grit ROS sander. Finished 80 grit sanding this evening and filled in a few gaps with epoxy filler.

Friday Oct 20 2006

Cleaned up fill areas and lightly resanded with 80 grit. Wet out hull with water to raise grain prior to final sanding. 4 C today so things are drying slowly. Got 120 grit sanding done after lunch and cleaned up shed area with air compressor to remove some of the dust. If weather co-operates tomorrow I will be glassing the deck sometime during the day.

Saturday Oct 21

Wiped down deck with lacquer thinner and after lunch did the fiberglass and epoxy layout. Temp was about 8 C and then sun finally came out and shed warmed up to 12 C.

Sunday Oct 22 2006

Applied filler coat of epoxy in morning around 11 am by pouring on a 4 shot batch along the centre of the deck and spreading with squeege. Temp 8 C and 60 % humidity. Raining again. 3 pm temp dropped to 7 C, did last coat of epoxy. It was a little thick going on but after a few minutes it thinned out and spread easily. Checked boat at 8 pm, epoxy is leveling well, missed one small section along covering boards on rear right side. Temp holding at 8 C

Monday Oct 23 2006

Checked boat and epoxy felt dry. Looks like it did blush on me though due to cold temp. I removed deck from forms and brought into the basement. Epoxy is still soft and got marked up a bit in doing so. Hairdryer smoothed out most of the mishaps. Checked at 4 pm and is harder. Will leave indoors for the next 3 days to make sure it cures. Lesson learned here, warmer temp is req to do epoxy. West recommends 16 C minimum. I got away with it but would not recommend anyone else try it.
Denis

Progress to date

Post by Denis »

Thursday Oct 26 2006

Brought the deck out of the basement today and reattached to hull. Weather is not co-operating and I will be moving to a heated shop to finish the interior. I was counting on Indian Summer for a week or so to do the interior at home but that does not appear to be happening. Only plus 3 C here today.

Friday Oct 27 2006

Started scraping the deck underside in preparation for sanding and glassing. I still have problems with sharpening scrapers but when they are sharp they do a great job. Sanded with 80 grit then 120 grit prior to glassing.

Saturday Oct 28 2006

underside of deck fiberglassed by a group attending a one day session at Bear Mountain Boats. I wish the topside was as shiny. :laughing

Denis

Progress to date

Post by Denis »

Well I have the hull and deck interior glassed and just brought it home today. Trimmed off the overhang on the deck almost flush with hull. I likely will put it away now for the winter and start back up again in the spring. Perhaps we will still get Indian Summer and I will have a chance to work on building the cockpit at least before winter sets in.

Denis
Denis

Back at it!!!

Post by Denis »

April 21, 2007

The nice weather has finally arrived and I resumed my project today. Got the openings cut for the cockpit and rear hatch and partially installed the combing. Will start to fiberglass it tomorrow. Got a bunch of 1/8 inch by 1 3/4 inch ash cut for the hatch trim and possibly for the cockpit as well.

[img][img]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/ ... cutout.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/ ... tarted.jpg[/img][/img]

Denis
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I see you are out of hibernation at last. The kayak is looking good! No front hatch?

Edited: I see you made it through the vertical strip cockpit coaming process. How do you like it?
Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi Glen

No no front hatch. I don't plan on putting in a bulkhead there so a hatch is not necessary. I can always add one later if I need it.

I cheated on the combing. :laughing

I got a couple of pieces of plywood that you are able to bend easily. It has a centre flexible core of some material and the exterior is mahogany I think with parallel slices to the core. I was concerned shaping the end grain under the deck but it shaped really easily with my spokeshaves. I used the same material to make the lower part of the lip of the hatch opening and it is curing now. It will likely be next weekend before i get back to it. I sliced up a pile of 1/8 ash which I would like to use on top of the combing rather than a pile of skinny strips around the outside. Not sure yet how I will tackle that one.

Denis
Last edited by Denis on Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

So, I went to all the trouble of explaining how to make a vertical strip coaming and you decided to take the easy way out and cheat. :shocked

To make the lip just use some of those ash strips 1/8" thick and 1/4" wide and wrap them around the coaming. Let me know if you want me to explain the procedure I use. :rolling eyes
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Glen Smith wrote:To make the lip just use some of those ash strips 1/8" thick and 1/4" wide and wrap them around the coaming.
....Or, since you are already using the flexible plywood, why not use that for the lip too? Like you, I made my coaming riser out of flexible ply, 1/8" birch in my case. I used a fillet and glassed up the outside of the riser to get a strong connection from deck to coaming. I then trimmed the bottom edge of the riser flush with the bottom of the deck and rounded off that corner. When glassing the underside of the deck, I made sure the glass wrapped around from the underside of the deck to the inside of the coaming riser. With the deck back right side up, trimmed the riser to the desired height. (All of that was to get me to about the same point where you are at now.) I then cut my coaming lip out of the same birch ply, cutting the whole thing oversize so that it could be trimmed afterwards to an exact fit once in place. I used CA glue to tack it in place then I must have added a fillet to the underside. I then trimmed the coaming lip to its final inside dimensions and rounded off the inside top corner where lip meets riser. I then glassed the top of the lip, wrapping the glass (cut on the bias) down the riser and around to the underside of the deck. Finally, I trimmed it to it's outside dimensions. I don't recall how many layers of glass I added at this point, but I think it was 2. I also glassed the underside of the coaming lip, again wrapping the glass from deck to riser to lip.

I know that whole description seems complex, but it's not really. It was very easy to do, looks good, is strong & is light.

I have been meaning to do a blog posting that describes the process in detail but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe now would be a good time since my family is out of town & I'm waiting for varnish to dry. If/when I do, I will add a posting in the tips & techniques forum.
Cheers,
Bryan
Denis

Post by Denis »

April 29, 2007

did the layout and glue up of the hatch trim today. Fiddly stuff. I like the grain to run somewhat parallel to the side strips so I glued up short cut offs on top the base strip I steamed and bent earlier. Using a tip I read here years ago I use masking tape to hold them in order while gluing up. Remember to add glue to the joint between the pieces. Did a precoat then mixed in some 403 micro fibers and brushed on the thickened paste. Used a mixture of spring clamps and C-clamps to hold everything down till the glue sets up.

Denis[/img]

May 5, 2007

Shaped and glued up hatch trim today and put a coat of epoxy on hatch lip under the kayak deck. Making a Muskoka type chair today too for a draw prize for our local walking biking trail so I am running behind on my own stuff lol. During the week I have been helping another builder. Getting closer to the final stages.

Thank you Glen and Bryan for your comments. I am going to look at tackling the combing rim tomorrow so i may be hollering for help.