epoxy coating two boats in a very small garage

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Scott in Chico, CA

epoxy coating two boats in a very small garage

Post by Scott in Chico, CA »

Hi Everyone
I am building two freedom 17's in a very small one car garage. There is barely enough room to do the 'ol side-step along the side ot the strongback! I have to open the garage door to walk around the bow! The first one is ready to glass the outside, and I am facing a logistical question regarding the second boat. I was thinking of glassing the outside of the first boat, then hanging it on the ceiling and waiting to glass the inside until after the second one is built. That way I could avoid having to take down and re-set the station molds twice? My question is if there would be any problem having a boat 'rest' for a while with only the outside glassed?
If anyone out there has fought the 'small spaces' battle and can lend some tips, please advise!
Cheers All!
Jack in Stoughton

Post by Jack in Stoughton »

I have one that has been "resting for a year and a half. It's "resting" just fine. I'll finish it this summer. :D
Jack in Stoughton

Post by Guest »

Just make sure your garage ceiling does not leak. If liquid water gets in, the wood can swell enough to buckle and crease the glass. That can be very painful. The other potential problem is likely to be less of a problem in CA than many places: humidity change. If the wood swells or shrinks a lot compared to when you put the glass on the outside, it could open cracks or distort the shape, though not to the extent likely if liquid water gets in.