Finally in the water!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
zpeteman

Finally in the water!

Post by zpeteman »

I am the Arts and Crafts Instructor at the Florida Sheriffs Boys Ranch in Live Oak, FL on the banks of the Suwannee River. Almost a year ago a group of boys and I started building our first canoe, a Hiawatha 15'. After a long time, a lot of mistakes, and a lot of work, we finally put her into the browned old waters of the Suwannee this past weekend at our annual Open House event. I owe a lot of thanks to the people on this forum for answering my questions and helping me out when I was stumped, couldn't have done it without you!

The boys did an awesome job and I'm sure they will all remember this project for the rest of their lives. They are all looking forward to starting our next canoe as soon as possible. Not bad for a bunch of boys that the world gave up on. I'm very proud of them.

Our boat is made of western red cedar strips with a spruce stripe, poplar stems and gunwales, and a thwart of mahogany and oak. The seats are caned of 1/2 reed by a couple of boys that aren't in the picture and the frames are mahogany.

Here's a link to some pictures. I think the pictures of the launch are on the 2nd or 3rd page.

Thanks a ton for all the help.

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k221/ ... e/?start=0

[IMG:504:378]http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k221/ ... /group.jpg[/img]
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Hiawatha looks really nice, congratulations to the entire crew. :applause
TexasWoody

Post by TexasWoody »

Zpeterman,
"What is a boy worth, we'll have to wait and see, but every man in a noble place, a boy once used to be."
Good job on the boat, GREAT job on the boy. You can tell by the light in their faces that they were accomplishing something they can be very proud of.
:applause
Texaswoody
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Z,
Building a strip canoe is always an experience for the builder. How wonderful that you could share/give that experience to those young-men-in-training. I believe that it is a real head start for a young person to have a hand in creating something as magical and beautiful as a boat. It gives them that magic, "I can do it" attitude for the rest of their lives. You all have created a beautiful thing, and a canoe, too! I hope it is used and enjoyed for years to come.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
ealger

Finally!

Post by ealger »

Zpeterman
What a wonderful thing and your crew have done. What I would have given as a youth in the mean streets of South Los Angeles to have had the experience to build a canoe! Building anything with a parent or friend are treasures never to be forgotten. I like your shop to!
Well done.
Ed...
Ed Alger
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

When I saw the picture of the Florida Sheriffs Boys Ranch Seal on the Bow deck, that said it all about the Management... I hope not just other builders will understand the signifance...
Great Job guys... :twisted evil
CYA, Joe
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
zpeteman

Post by zpeteman »

Thanks for the kind words, I'll be sure to pass them along to the boys.

Funny thing about the 'management'... When they saw the final project they were so blown away that they didn't want it used. They wanted me to build a display case for it and leave it out on display for the public where it would never get bumped around or scratched up. I had to argue with them that these boys have been working for nearly a year toward the promise of paddling this canoe down the Suwannee and no threat of bumps, dings, and scratches ought to prevent that.

I'm happy to report that they saw it my way and the canoe will be going into regular use by those that built it. I had to promise to build one for display purposes next though :)