Accent Strip

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Juneaudave

Accent Strip

Post by Juneaudave »

On my Bob's Special, I made the accent strip laminated with Port Orford cedar and mahogany per Michne's website. It turned out nice and the lines were very crisp, What can I expect if the accent strip on the next boat is not laminated but just a different colored strip ..i.e. mahogany strip, Port Orford strip, mahogany strip etc.? The strips from my last (and first) canoe were so uniform in color I never really had a light colored strip next to a dark colored strip except on the accent strip.
Jack in Stoughton

Post by Jack in Stoughton »

You can always use different woods to build contrast. Try taking some scraps of cedar, pine and mahogany and laying them side by side and play with the colors. Don't forget to wet the test batch out to see what the finished color will look like.
Jack in Stoughton
ChipSandresky

Re: Accent Strip

Post by ChipSandresky »

Juneaudave wrote:On my Bob's Special, I made the accent strip laminated with Port Orford cedar and mahogany per Michne's website. It turned out nice and the lines were very crisp, What can I expect if the accent strip on the next boat is not laminated but just a different colored strip ..i.e. mahogany strip, Port Orford strip, mahogany strip etc.? The strips from my last (and first) canoe were so uniform in color I never really had a light colored strip next to a dark colored strip except on the accent strip.
Hi JD, that's a good question. I just ran downstairs to look at my stripper. Basically, from 18" away I couldn't tell the difference. At 6" I saw varying degrees of crispness. The bead/cove joint is very crisp and straight but it would be hard to match laminations that are jointed. I guess my opinion is to make the scale of the feature strip bold enough so it won't really matter much. BTW, I am a big fan of stripping without bead/cove but that is really a different topic.

Chip
http://www.LorettaAndChip.com