newbie ?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jman

newbie ?

Post by jman »

hi
im new here and just have a few questions before i get started. i havent bought plans yet because im still unsure of what kind of canoe i want to build as my first project. my first question is where can a buy clear ceder boards? i work in a lumberyard and was talking to the salesman and all i could get was standerd grade wrc not really ideal for cutting strips.the good think about working at a lumberyard is i got 20 10footers of 1x2 for free and that was great clear wood but for some reason they cant get the same quality lumber anymore. i also got some really nice 1x6 mahogany for free and can get a great price if i need more. second when you start stipping how do you attach the strips to the stems? before i start the canoe i though it would be a good idea to build an paddle since i've never really worked with wood. i guess all im really looking for is a few pointers to get me started

thanks
jesse
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Jesse, the best suggestion I can make is to buy a copy of Ted Moores' book "Canoecraft". Read it from cover to cover and you will find the answers to a lot of questions you may have. It's not that I don't want to help you, it's just that Ted's book is really the strip-building "bible" and an absolute "must".
jman

Post by jman »

thanks i already ordered that book i was just looking for a little more info before i started spending more money. and trying to find a good place to buy lumber
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Greetings, and welcome to the forum!! I agree with Glen, first go ahead and buy Canoecraft if you haven't already done so. Secondly, there are a lot of really good websites out there that you can use. One that comes to mind are the builders notes from John Michne's site http://www.michneboat.com/. He has a lot of really good information. Another thing, do a search on the web for cedar strip conoes. Take a look at all of the great creations that have been constructed. You'll get a good sense of what types can be done. Good luck, the members of the forum are always ready to give advice (whether you want it or not)!!!
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Hi, Jesse,
Aside from what's already been said, my best advice as a first time builder is to soak up as much as you can from Canoecraft and any other canoe building book you can get your hands on (I also read Susan Van Leuven's book Illustrated Guide to Wood Strip Canoe Building). Read thru all the posts on this forum, some of your questions are addressed in some detail already. There are a lot of links in the forum and elsewhere as you surf the web that show you how other people did it (Like John Michne's site above). You'll start to get a feel for how it's done, what kind of problems you'll encounter, and how you can solve problems if they occur. I spent 6 months researching Hawaiian canoe design and reading up on construction methods before I jumped in and started swimming. It's been an absolute joy to see my canoe come together. I WILL build more!!! As for lumber, it sounds like you have an ideal situation. If you choose to mill your own, you'll find that you can salvage shorter strips from less than clear lumber and do scarf or butt joints that will work just fine. If you decide to buy milled lumber, there are several places (like Bear Mountain Boats) that will sell you perfectly milled, clear strips...for a price. Take your time, do the research, and when you come up with more specific ?'s, this forum will be an invaluable source. Don't get in a hurry to get started, be sure of what you want to build, figure on 200+ hours to build it (I'll probably have 300 in mine when it's done), and have FUN!!! Glad to have you on board.
A hui ho,
Kent
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Here's another thought on starting....focus a bit on deciding which craft you want ot build...how are you going to use the canoe, how much weight are you going to carry, whats the length. That will help in getting wood. In my case, I spent a good deal of time cleaning out the garage, setting up shelves for wood storage, looking at tools, planning this and that. I found that about 16 ft was the largest I could build in my space comfortably. That led me to the 15 ft Bob's Special because that was a nice match between my space and my paddling needs. I also found that I had months between the time I started setting up a shop, building the strongback, cutting molds, before I even had to worry about acquiring strips....Juneaudave
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

Hi Jesse,
Welcome!
Ditto to what the guys have already said.
If your itchin' to find out about the strips attaching to the stems, go to http://www.michneboat.com. John has an awesome technique to shape the rolling bevel on the inner stem, in his builder's corner.
Also, you might want to look at Martin Step's website at http://www.greenval.com and check out his builder's notes.
Just make sure to pay attention to what Glen Smith tells you. As far as I am concerned, Glen is most knowledgable and totally unselfish with advise, tips, tricks and of course a little humor once in a while.
If I could give you one piece of advise, it would be: Patience. Take your time, because you're not going to build this thing in one day, week, month or even several months perhaps. 1-2 years is not uncommon.
You are blessed to be working in a lumber yard, I'm sure you will be able to get good deals on tools as well.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Nachako

Post by Nachako »

If your not planning to jump in right away. I built the model first time out and avoided most of those first time mistakes . Also it gave me the best idea of what to look out for.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi, Jesse,

Here's another source with photos on the step-by-step construction of the Freedom 17, one of the designs featured in Canoecraft:

http://www.aracnet.com/~ncglad/canoe/canoemain.htm

And another detailing how the decision to choose the Huron (another Canoecraft design) was made, as well as the construction:

http://members.tripod.com/tomangelakis/ ... ruiser.htm

Good luck and many happy moments building and paddling the boat you decide on!
jman

Post by jman »

thanks for all the help guys. i just finished making a paddle just to get myself used to working with wood. i found some white mahogany in my shed and i got a bunch of ceder scraps from work so thats what i used. i'll post some pics later. i still need resin and glass to finish it but its sanded and ready to go.