tippy canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Tim McCarthy

tippy canoe

Post by Tim McCarthy »

A few years back i purchaced a partially completed bear m. canoe. At the time i thought it was a chestnut p. but now i,m not sure.(from first book) total length 15'-9" width @ thwart is 34". I installed the seats @ bow-37" to seat front from fr. stem and stern seat-49" to seat fr. from rear stem. Both seats have 1.25" spacers below the gunnels. Although we didn,t get wet on our maiden voyage i liken the experience to paddling the edge of a knife! I,m thinking that only option is to reposition the seats closer to the middle which involes at least one new seat. we are only comfortable paddling from the seatad position. Could this be a peterbough or some less stable boat, As we have a four year old passenger stability is an important issue. Any suggestions?

Tim & Callie
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Tim, I would start by lowering the seats. Try some 2.5" spacers and the stability should be increased quite a bit. If you are still not satisfied, you could move the seats closer together.
Todd Bradshaw

Post by Todd Bradshaw »

Yes, lower the seats. Moving them closer together would make little or no difference in the boat's stability. It's one of those Center of Gravity vs. Center of Buoyancy things and just moving them closer together doesn't do much to change their relationship. Lowering the seats moves the CG down a bit closer to the CB and will have at least some positive effect.

Post by Guest »

When people say a canoe is tippy I always wonder if they are trying to paddle sitting up on the seat with their knees in the air - most boats are tippy if the weight is up so high. You should be on your knees at first to get a feel for your boat. And of course narrower boats are faster - not as stable initially but as your skill improves you will appreicate the ease of paddling perhaps.
Any new equipment takes getting used to. Many of our designs are based on fast more tradtional style canoes - worth spending the time to develop the skill to use we think.
Joan
Glen Smith

Relative Tippiness

Post by Glen Smith »

I agree with Joan on this subject. I built a Hiawatha which is one of the least stable of the Bear Mountain canoes. When I first sat in it, I thought "Wow, this boats is tippy"! Shortly afterwards I was kneeling and paddling along with the canoe tilted over 'till the water was lapping the outwale.

When I go fishing with my daughter there is a maximum total weight of less than 250 pounds in the canoe which doesn't even bring it down to its designed waterline. This canoe has NEVER dumped anyone! You just have to get used to it and "grow into it" as with any other canoe or kayak.