delaminating cloth??

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Steve in Kazoo

delaminating cloth??

Post by Steve in Kazoo »

I just finished a 20' Gilpatrick guide and I had some trouble putting it on the roof of my van. I think I over cranked the bow and stern ropes and now I notice that some of the glass on the inside where the hull curves (right in the middle of the canoe) is delaminating. It's spotty, sometimes just a few white spots and in other places it's a line that runs where two strips meet. In places I can feel the weave if I run my finger down it. In one of the spots I drilled two tiny holes and injected resin in one hole and it came out the other but it remained white. Any ideas???

Thanks so much!!
Steve
Todd Bradshaw

Post by Todd Bradshaw »

The white is actually where the cloth was fractured or stretched and though related to the delam, it is really a separate thing. There is nothing that I am aware of which will turn such areas back to their formerly clear state. You just can't get resin to soak into every tiny fiber-to-fiber gap and completely cover up the problem. The only way I know of for fixing fractured fiberglass is to remove the damaged area (by either cutting or sanding) and then apply a small patch of new fabric, covering the area and overlapping onto the edge of the remaining good glass.
Pete in the Deep South

White spots

Post by Pete in the Deep South »

I'm facing that task right now. My Vaux Jr. developed those white spots on the outerstems only. I guess you could call it "Canoe Acne". It took over a year to develope. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to sand down to bare wood and epoxy on a bias strip. :(
Rod Tait

heat and expansion

Post by Rod Tait »

What you describe is common and possibly caused by heat while your canoe is on the roof of your car for a long time. Since the line you describe follows a glue line I would suggest that there may be expansion from moisture in the joint or the glue itself. I have had this happen on older boats of mine over time in which the glass prints through to the surface. It isn't really a bubble to which one can inject resin into to make it go away.

I have heard of good results by heating up the area with a heat gun until the tiny dots disappear, but timing is everything. Having never tried it though, I can not give any more help than to suggest the idea.

On boats of mine, I simply sanded throught the glass, being careful not to hit bare wood, and patched.