epoxy question

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders

epoxy question

Post by Guest »

form my paddle i just put the first coat of epoxy on to seal it. if i wet sand it then do another coat will it come out glossy as the first coat? the problom is the resin soked in the ceder so its kind of dull but the mahagany came out really glossy so what i want to do is wet sand the ceder parts to smooth it out the do a second coat. if i do it will the resin become cloudy?
TIA
Jesse
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Jesse,

Some epoxies don't appreciate having any water on them until they have cured for at least a few days. Wetting fresh epoxy could make it cloudy. You can dry sand it after 24 to 48 hours without any problems. If the epoxy tends to form gummy balls as you sand then it hasn't dried long enough to be sanded.

Since you are using different types of wood in your paddle it is normal that the epoxy absorption will be different for each species.
KARKAUAI

Post by KARKAUAI »

Aloha, Jesse,
Dry sand away, the new coat of epoxy will be just as clear and glossy as the first. Of course, the gloss will be sanded away as you prep for varnishing, and the clarity and gloss will return with the varnish.
A hui ho,
Kent

Post by Guest »

thanks for the help i sanded it down and did the second coat i'll have to check on it when i get home from work. i hope it came out good