Ringing in the New Year

This is the place for everything that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Glen Smith

Ringing in the New Year

Post by Glen Smith »

I would like to wish a very happy and healthy New Year to all of our forum members on behalf of all of the Bear Mountain staff.

Please share your boat building projects for 2007 in this thread.

[IMG:800:589]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ ... mnLake.jpg[/img]
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

My first project for 2007 is to build a kayak based on the lines of the Bear Mountain designs. It will have the length of the Resolute and the width of the Endeavour. The attached picture shows what looks like 3 cockpits but in reality there is a central cockpit, a rear hatch, and a front hatch that will dissimulate a recessed cockpit coaming suitable for a small child. I will occasionaly post updates on this project.

[IMG:800:580]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ ... arval2.jpg[/img]
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

It looks like a Bear Mountain Boats year for me. I purchased the plans for the 16 foot Prospector, and will start that as soon as I get settled into my new shop in Butte. As soon as I get that started, and assuming that I can sell some of my real estate, I'll build a Resolute and an Endeavour. That should keep me in sawdust until Spring!

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Happy New Year to all! I wish you safety and prosperity in the new year!

Well, since Glen asked about projects for 2007 - I will describe mine as leftover projects from 2006.

Project #1 - a 13.5' (150 lb usable displacement, 180 lb total displacement) kayak for the kids, partially started (forms cut, ready for set-up).

Project #2 - a 16' asymmetrical canoe, similar to the BMB Freedoms. Plans are drawn and partially assembled.

Both projects were done on the Kayak Foundry software offered by Mr. Ross Leidy at Blue Heron Kayaks. They were both done with a great amount of assistance from Mr. Glen Smith. Thanks to both of these gentlemen!

Now, if I could only buy some time. We have just moved into the new house, and the basement/shop is moving along slowly. Of course there are all sorts of other distractions such as skiing, etc... It has been a fantastic winter so far!

Once again, a safe and happy New Year to all!

Snowman
Snowman back East
Denis

My wait till spring to finish project

Post by Denis »

I started a modified Resolute last fall and now that the cold weather is here I am waiting till spring arrives to finish it up. (feels like spring today 10+ C)

pawistik

Post by pawistik »

My first project of 2007: - finish up the damned kayak. I still have to
  • sand smooth the inside seam, build the moby latches (parts are manufactured and epoxied, I just need to assemble and install them), install bulkheads, install paddle park, install soft padeyes (just need to be pulled through the slots in the deck), varnish, install deck lines, carve seat, install back rest.
Dang, that list is longer than I thought it was.

Next on the list is a whitewater paddle, then a real paddle for my older daughter who will be 5 in the summer, then a toddler-sized paddle for my younger daughter.

Somewhere in there before spring I want to help a friend put new gunnels on his recently acquired second-hand fg canoe.

Cheers & Happy New Year!
Bryan
Rick

Post by Rick »

The new 15'3" Freedom Solo... the lines look great and without having had test-paddled one, it just looks like it'll be a very efficient design... efficient to paddle Canadian-style, a good match for my weight, structurally strong & lightweight in construction, fast, probably will turn well leaned over, and still comfortable enough to sit in occasionally. So this is next, only Gawd knows when I'll have the time....

:thinking
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

First, a new Greenland paddle. Then a new Euro paddle. Then, a new canoe paddle. After that, if and only if, I sell my two SOFs, I'll build a 16' 22" day kayak similar to a Romany or Meridian. If that gets finished, then the Freedom Solo.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Happy New Year

I will be building another kayak this year and will be using the same forms as my last kayak project. That is where the similarities will end. This kayak will not be stripped in the traditional fashion. I will be doing some modifications to my forms so I can strip the hull vertically. The strips for the hull will have to be steamed, every one of them. This will be time consuming and will probably work on my nerves but there is no hurry. As always I will be checking in here on the forum to ask questions. I will post pictures as they are available.
Erik, Belgium

Post by Erik, Belgium »

hi All,

Happy 2007 to you all !

I 'm finishing 2 new Norsaq's right now. And I just started figuring out what sizes to saw the wood for my 1st east greenland SOF. Later this year, I hope to start a Black Pearl stripper.

have fun and take care !

Erik, Belgium.
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

As you probably already know I am working on a 16' Adirondack Guide Boat.
Based on John Michne and Michael Olivette's Book.
I will be leaving regular updates and photo's thru my link in the Project Directories (Non-Bear Mountain Designs Link).
So check it out if you are interested.

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying