Sawstop -watch the hot dog

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Doug

Post by Doug »

http://www.sawstop.com/

Doug

"Some people hear the song in the quiet mist of a cold morning..... But for other people the song is loudest in the evening when they are sitting in front of a tent, basking in the camp fire's warmth. This is when I hear it loudest ...." BM
Tom in MN

Post by Tom in MN »

It suprises me that in the demonstration, the height of the table saw blade is in an unsafe position. The teeth of the blade should only extend above the board being cut by 1/8 of an in or so, the same amount it cut into the hot dog. Any person that does not take the time to adjust the blade height for each cut has not business operating a table saw. With proper blade height, this "accident" with the hot dog would not happen.

To sell their product, this company is willing to demonstrate an unsafe blade position. I think a lot of the technology to prevent accidents, but you cannot replace proper operating technique with technology. When I was a kid and taught how to operate a table saw, I remeber being taught that I need to have twice the respect for the saw, because it has none for me!

Remember to take the time to properly set the blade height before EVERY cut.
Scot T

Post by Scot T »

YEOW!!! I'm with you Tom!,

I watched a fellow loose his thumb to a table saw. It wasn't a pretty sight for sure. It happened in a commercial cabinet shop I worked at a number of years ago and the saw was much larger than that one in the film. He had not lowered the blade height when he switched from cutting a stack of plywood to just a single sheet. It's always bothered me to think that if I'd have been two steps closer to him I might have been able to do something before the fact instead of after the fact. The thumb was put back on but sure doesn''t work like an original.

Since most of us small boat builders work alone in our shops we MUST be extra cautious and be vigilant at al times.

"BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!" gang, I don't want to relive that experience through a sad story posted in these valued pages.
Charles G. Clark, Jr.

Post by Charles G. Clark, Jr. »

This saw is not new. I have seen several reviews in Fine Woodworking, American Woodworker, etc. over the past year or so. One of the issues that the reviewers identified was the "false alarm" rate. Apparently there are some problems with cutting wood that is not sufficiently dry and some problem associated with dado blades. I can't remember the specifics.

BTW, when the saw stop activates, it destroys the blade and the saw stop block--both of which will need replacement before the saw is usable again. (Better than finger replacement.)