Sona tube for steamin'?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
knehdn

Sona tube for steamin'?

Post by knehdn »

Hi.
Has anyone considered, or possibly tried using an 8" diameter sona tube for steaming the stems? Just a thought cuz they're cheap, lightweight, easy to work with, and can be tossed when finished.
Thanks
Gabe
KenC

Post by KenC »

Haven't tried that ... I had a length of 4" diameter ABS pipe already lying around (I think it was left behind by the former owner when I bought the house) and used that ... it worked perfectly.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Something narrower would be more effective. I have seen a cardboard shipping tube used and it held up ok for three steamings.

Denis
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

I use the 4" ABS with 90 degree elbow and cap- Works great for me, relatively inexpensive and simple to set up as well.

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
philz

Re: Sona tube for steamin'?

Post by philz »

When I made a fishingnet out of ash, I capped a 1" PVC pipe, put the wood in, poured in hot water, and put a cap on the open end to keep the wood from floating out. The next day it easily bent 180 degrees in 8".

Philz
philz
knehdn

Post by knehdn »

Thanks for the input... but I guess it's best I go the PVC tubing. I just happened to have some of the sona tube laying around.
Gabe
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Actually, schedule 40 ABS will resist the steam better than PVC in my personal experience.