Adirondack Guide Boat Progress??

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Scot T

Adirondack Guide Boat Progress??

Post by Scot T »

Checking out some of the progress everyone is making with their projects and wondering how the Guide Boat builders are doing. Haven't heard from you brave souls lately. Anything to report and any photos guys?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Mark's latest report (Mar 14) is posted in the "Project Directories":
http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2 ... 5354#15354
Scot T

Post by Scot T »

Thanks Glen, I forgot about the "Project Directories". I have my favorites set to take me directly to the "Builders Forum" so don't often check elsewhere. Sounds like Mark has had a good find. Good for him.
Arctic

Post by Arctic »

Thought I would post this here as well, since this thread was started. original is in project directories.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:00 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I decided to do a bit of a set up- just so I could see where I am at.
I was out there working this morning and to be honest about it, I was feeling a little frustrated with things.... how long it's taking, my sometimes lack of precision, my sometimes tendency to cut before measuring twice- you get the idea.

Well I decided to clamp the ribs I have completed together, space them beside each other and run a few short pieces of cedar along them- just so I could get a different visual prespective of my progress. Seeing the ribs scattered and hanging in the garage just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

So as you can see (see photo link below) while it is going slowly, it is going. On my first boat I had 2-3 hours a day to work on it- on this one I am lucky if I have that much time in a week to put towards it.

I think once the ribs are completed and set up- the stripping will go much faster, but that is a bit down the road at this point.

and as far as my lack of total and complete precision.... it is my philosophy that boats (especially of this type) were originally built with sticks, twigs and improvised hand tools- so I figure I can get something together that is safe and looks good, even with my modest tools and woodworking skills. But that said, I still get pretty mad with myself when I cut without measuring twice!

The photo's in the site show the ribs for stations #0 (4 of those ones) and one set for station # 1- you will see them on top of the Adirondack boat I bought and am planning to restore (see my other posts on that)- just keep in mind the ribs are not cut to length or sanded/finished yet- this is just to show a different prespective on my progress, mostly for my own benefit!

Here they are:

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k63/AdirondackBoat/

Any comments are appreciated. don't be shy.

Mark,
Cantley, Quebec.
"The journey is the reward"- Tao saying
Charles G. Clark, Jr.

Post by Charles G. Clark, Jr. »

Mark,
I have been following your progress with interest. I have fantasized about making an AGB for some time. I had looked at the plans offered by Nick Schade (Guillemot Kayaks), and the example of that boat built by Newfound. Your boat, following a more traditional approach, is the ribbed version. I have not read John Michne's book. With your building approach, do the ribs replace the forms as the means to build shape into the boat? Do you staple or nail the strips to the ribs? When you finish stripping, do you fair and fiberglass the external hull the same way as we normally do for our canoes? How do you finish the interior? Is it only varnished?

Keep up the good work. I appreciate the photo log.

Chuck
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

Building an Adirondack guideboat takes more time than building a canoe, when you consider the preliminary work before any part of the boat is made. Your second boat takes less time, since you already have lofted the ribs and stems, made the patterns and bending forms, and built a support structure of some kind. For support during building, I use a canoe strongback with additional stanchions on top to support the frame for stripping. My co-author took over 3 years to build one, working part time as a hobby. The total time required is on the order of 400 to 500 hours or so. But remember, building a boat is fun. If you build for profit or a deadline, it is work, and work is not fun.

Briefly, the laminated ribs are mounted on a bottom board, and the hull stripped with bead and cove cedar strips screwed to each rib. 4 oz fiberglass outside only, add the gunwales, decks, and brass trim, make oars, paddle, portage yoke. Paint or varnish or both.

I posted a few pictures on Photobucket. Click on the Sub Album, Adirondack Guideboat

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a362/jmichne/

Have fun, and build on!!

John