16' 6" Resolute

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Progress has been slow this month with just dribbles and drabs of work done on boat. Glued on the first layer of the cockpit rim last week and glued up the top layer yesterday. I plan on getting it shaped and cut to size Monday. Still not sure if it should have a layer of glass over the top and down the sides.

[img][img]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/ ... glueup.jpg[/img][/img]

After consulting the guru I decided to apply one layer of glass over the rim and down the riser on the inside portion of cockpit. I still have some squeezeout to remove from the front of the riser that I wasnt able to remove due to clamps. Hard as a rock.
Last edited by Denis on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denis

progress to date

Post by Denis »

June 17th- 2007 exterior of Boat completed to this point. Now time to reopen and install foot braces and construct bulkhead, sand and varnish the cockpit area and get ready to close in boat for the last time.

[img][img]http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/ ... pleted.jpg[/img]

[/img]
Denis

Progress at last

Post by Denis »

Finally rec'd my foot braces (Yakima) and got them installed this past Sunday Morning before heading to the cottage for a few days. ( A friend's cottage )

Got the deck and hull joined this afternoon July 17th.

Time to dig out the final pieces to install maybe tomorrow?

Denis

Wednesday July 18th 2007

Got trim on one side then weather moved in and shut me down for the day. another piece tomorrow. Maybe i will be done before freeze up lol

Denis

July 23 2007

Got the exterior sanded and 1st coat of varnish on the hull. Progress at last!!!! Now if only the varnish dried in a 1/2 hour lol

Denis

Thursday July 19th 2007

Got the trim on the second side done between rain showers.
Denis

Varnish

Post by Denis »

July 24th 2007

2nd coat of varnish on hull

1st coat varnish on deck this evening, me and the mozzies

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

It looks good Denis! Do you think you will have it launched before freeze-up? :thinking
Denis

Post by Denis »

Thanks Glen

I am sure I will make it in the water before this freeze up. I missed last years deadline lol

Denis
Denis

Resolute Finished July 28 2007

Post by Denis »

Finished the boat today. It has been a long spring with a few setbacks but worth it in the end. I am happy with the cockpit setup. The extra inch of depth makes the boat more comfortable for me. I have not yet paddled it. Tomorrow will be the launch day. I will let the varnish cure one more day.

The biggest lesson learned is not to epoxy unless it is warm enough. No more Fall starts.

My thanks to Glen for his timely advice.

Denis from Lakefield Ontario
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

It looks great Denis! Simple lines = simple beauty.

Let us know how she handles.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Thank you Glen

I had it out today on the river for a short paddle. It skims along nicely and behaves. The extra inch of depth makes in more comfortable than my other resolute. I need to have someone check my trim and see if I have the boat level when sitting in it.

We are off to Kingston tomorrow for a paddle with another couple and then will follow the Rideau Canal and paddle here and there where i paddled as a youth. I expect it is built up a lot by now.

Denis
Denis

Fall Pic

Post by Denis »

got my shoulder mostly fixed and went for a paddle in late October with a visitor from Waterloo area. A great day on Stony although not as nice as the day before.

Denis

Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That is good news about the shoulder. I am glad you got to enjoy a day on the water with your beautiful craft.
mtpocket

Post by mtpocket »

Great looking yak Denis. I hope to see it in person next summer.
Glen Smith

Water Fox construction has begun

Post by Glen Smith »

Today I started stripping the hull of my latest project, named Water Fox. It will have an open deck and the hull is based on the Bear Mountain Resolute with some modifications.
More pics at the posted link: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v427/ ... k%20Kayak/

Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Where are your strongback outlets??? You sure get allot done (even without the outlets!)
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I use a 25' flexible outlet. :laughing

Actually, once the forms were set up and the sheer clamps installed, I haven't needed any power tools and even those jobs were done with a battery powered drill/driver. Once I get to the turn of the bilge I might need to use the hot-air gun to preform the strip ends then of course the sanding phase will require electrical power. I think I prefer to use an extension cord rather than surprisingly running out of tool power cord and having to stop and relocate the plug so I can get back to business.