Trimming the sheer line.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
MACK

Trimming the sheer line.

Post by MACK »

As I start to close in the bottom of my canoe my mind has wondered to a future step. While stripping my Prospector I have gone past the sheer line in the bow and stern. I have read several books, 5 to be exact, and I just don’t recall instructions about when to trim the strips to the appropriate sheer line. Would you guys suggest doing it before fiberglass the outside of the hull or wait till a later time?
Thanks,
Mack
RonMc1954

Post by RonMc1954 »

Hi Mack; it's been awhile since I built my canoe. I trimed the sheer line before fiberglass, one reason is that when it comes time to pull the forms, the less wood on the forms the better. After fiberglass you will have to go over the shear line again to sand off excess cloth. For me it was easier to cut raw wood and then trim the hardened fiberglass to that line.
Good luck
Ron Mc
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

It does suggest on one of my books that you trim the sheer line after your finished glassing with a jig saw. I havn't decoded when I'm going to do mine but I'm almost at the glasing stage so I better make a decesion soon enough.
Cheers, Robbie.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I cut the sheerline in the ballpark of correct before glassing and then trim to nearly the final sheerline after glassing. After gunwales are installed, the final sanding is done to ensure that sheerline matches the gunwales exactly.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com