Paddle dimensions

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
Adamv

Paddle dimensions

Post by Adamv »

Greetings,

Having built my 15' Bob's Special, and enjoyed it on a couple of trips, the time has come to build my own paddle. Most of my tripping is solo (5-6 day trips), and I confess, I don't use the J stroke or anything else fancy. I just use the good old sit and switch technique, sitting in the front seat paddling the canoe backwards.

Any ideas on paddle type (otter tail, etc.) and dimensions (shaft length, blade length, blade width)? One thing I am committed to is a bent shaft paddle with about 13 degree bend.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Adam
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Rick

Post by Rick »

Bent-shafts used in sit-and-switch usually have short, wide blades... a long narrow blade eg. ottertail, will likely be less efficient. An ottertail is good for control strokes when paddling Canadian-style, kneeling off to one side and heeled over, which your Bob's will also do well.

The 8x20 inch blades shown in the pictures Glen referred to are a good starting point along with the sizing method. Width of canoe and sitting height can affect the length that's most comfortable... another way to determine proper size before building is to rent one out during a canoe trip and see how it works out over several days' use, here near Algonquin, the rent's about a dollar a day.
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

As always, thanks fellows for the advice.

Glen, I had not seen that info from BearMountain. It will be very useful. Thanks.

Rick, I think I will just go with the BM info as far as shaft length and paddle blade dimensions go. I like the idea of renting one to try it out, but this will be a Fall project, and I won't be able to get out in the canoe until next Spring. If I'm a bit off on one of the dimensions, I can always make another one!

I have canoed the Bob's Special heeled, and love how stable it is, but I've always preferred sit-and-switch sitting on the seat when I'm in the boat for the whole day. It's also easier for fishing.

Thanks again for the help.
Adam
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Adam, you might want to check out this link also: http://bluestempaddler.com/canoe_paddle/index.html