Polymerized Tung Oil & Sealer

Post questions & answers about; paddle selection, building and maintenance; paddling techniques; boat transportation, storage & maintenance.
pawistik

Polymerized Tung Oil & Sealer

Post by pawistik »

Hello,
I am about to finish a laminated cedar/aspen greenland paddle with Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil High Luster.

In preparation for using the stuff, I actually sat down & read the instructions. :shocked The instructions say that for use on wood I should "seal the wood with a liberal first coat of Polymerized Tung Oil Sealer."
LeeValley wrote:Applied liberally as a first coat, this sealer will penetrate deeply to close wood pores and provide a clear base that highlights grain and color.

Anybody else out there using this product? Do you use the sealer first? What might befall me if I skip it? Or should I be making a trip up to the LV store on Saturday, a journey that will surely cost much more than the $14.50 for a small can of sealer?

Thanks in advance,
Bryan
ealger

Tung oil sealer

Post by ealger »

Well Bryan what you might consider is gluing up a test piece and then applying your Tung oil. Let it dry and then immerse it in a bucket of water, dry it in the Sun and then repeat this process for a week. See if the result is what you want to protect your valuable paddle.
Ed...
Ed Alger
Adamv

Post by Adamv »

Bryan,

What did you end up doing with this? Did it work? I'd be very interested, as I am finishing my paddle in the very near future, and I do like the look of oiled wood over varnish.

Adam
Who travels not by water knows not the fear of God --- 17th Century Sailor
pawistik

Post by pawistik »

Adamv wrote:Bryan,
What did you end up doing with this?
I didn't use the polymerized tung oil, mostly because I didn't want to go out and buy the sealer (due to time). Instead, I used the same spar varnish (Captain's Spar Varnish) I used for the kayak, applied in 3 coats or so. Yes, it worked all right, though I don't have a lot of miles on it yet.

Cheers,
Bryan