which kayak for a gift?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
VJ Giles

which kayak for a gift?

Post by VJ Giles »

I'm a canoe-type guy who is ready to loft and build a strip kayak as a graduation gift for my daughter. If she's 5ft. 2 and (blue eyes) 110 lbs., would any of you experienced kayakers recommend a Resolute over an Endeavor. Any other recommendations for a plan? She's mostly into day trips on quiet water, and will do some mild rivers and a couple overnights each year.
Lisa in BC

Kayak as a gift

Post by Lisa in BC »

I have an endeavour and it would seem a bit big for just day trips. I'm 130 lbs and 5'5". It would probably be fine outfitted with some gear to weigh it down a bit.

I would go for the Resolute.

cheers, Lisa
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Resolute may be a few inches shorter than the Endeavour but it is wider and has a larger capacity. It is also a lot of boat for a small person. I ended up designing my own kayak to correspond to my weight of only 120 pounds. Most designs are based on 160+ pound paddlers.

There are a few kayak designs for lighter weight paddlers. I suggest you check the specifications of the models designed by "Redfish", "Guillemot" and "Oneoceankayak". Don't just check the "main" models displayed. They also have "S" models which are normally smaller versions for lightweight paddlers.
Rick in Pender Harbour

try venture 14?

Post by Rick in Pender Harbour »

Hi

I built a venture from kayak-craft, and my wife (also 5' 2") liked it a lot.. The venture seems to be a similar design to the endeavor, (hull to deck joint at a chine). I believe in smaller, rather than larger boats.
rgds

Rick
Denis

which Kayak

Post by Denis »

I have built the Resolute for myself and the Venture for my wife . Venture is a short boat and tends to turn into the wind. Needs a skeg or rudder. Resolute is intended for bigger paddlers like me :D 260 lbs and the Venture is a nice boat for smaller paddlers ( I won't even mention weights here LOL)

In hindsight I would have built two Endeavours and they would have been fine for both of us

I hope this is of some help to you. Ideally having a chance to paddle one of them first would help you to decide. My boats are always available for test paddling.

Denis in Lakefield Ontario
John Caldeira

Consider the Guillemot 'S'

Post by John Caldeira »

The Guillemot 'S' is designed for someone close to your daughter's size. It's lower volume, so it will be lighter and less wind resistant than the Resolute and Endevour.

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/Buildin ... lemot.html

John