designs for endeavour

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
dr bass

designs for endeavour

Post by dr bass »

Well after reading Ted's book I can't make heads or tails of the appendix on how to make the molds. So I'm assuming I should go ahead and spend the $110.00 on plans from Bear Mountain.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

If you search this site (F.A.Q's I believe) you will find instructions on lofting so you can draw your own plans. If not, any number of people here can try to explain the process. But, yes, it is easier with the plans. As far as kayaks are concerned, cockpit placement is VERY important and this info is only shown on the plans.
Last edited by Glen Smith on Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Welcome to the forum. Let me give my 2 bits worth...I would maybe go one step further than Glen on lofting your own molds...and I will say that from the standpoint that I have always purchased plans and have never built from offsets!!!...but...in and of itself, I think it would be a wonderfull exercise. Ask yourself a couple of questions?

Is it worth spending the time? What is your timeframe? I'm pretty sure your capable. I say that because if you have considered building a kayak enough to ask the question, you've thought about it a lot.

Will this be the only kayak you will build? Lot's of people on the forum have built a canoe or kayak from plans and have been "bitten" by the building bug! It's enjoyable and rewarding. Some of the older plans aren't published, and being able to build from offsetts is the only way you can build some classic boats.

Understanding offsets and design really gives you some insights into modifying a design to customize it to your needs. A lot of designers frown upon us amaters modifying designs willy-nilly. And rightfully so. Some details, such as seat placement are only shown on the plans.

Good luck and welcome to the forum...lets us know if you shell out the bucks...Juneaudave