O/A length For a Redbird Stongback

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Its Me

O/A length For a Redbird Stongback

Post by Its Me »

How long should the strong back be for a Rebird? It appears to be greater than 16' thus throwing out using just two 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Other ideas?

redbird strongback length

Post by guest »

Sixteen feet is exactly correct. The Stem Forms hang over slightly at each end. You may find that this comes in handy, allowing you access without obstruction when carving the stem profiles.

Post by Guest »

About 6" shorter than the length of the canoe would be about perfect.
Dean in Eureka, CA

Post by Dean in Eureka, CA »

The Redbird is just a tick over 17 1/2' long. 16' on the strongback is prescribed. The stem forms extend past the ends of the strongback and that comes in very handy when shaping the stems. Don't throw that plywood away, get that strongback built and go to town.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Say Dean...Have you broke off the retaining strips from your hull yet (the glued on ones to keep the hull against the molds)? I'm far enough along on the Rice Lake to have to fuss with that. Also, have you picked a tiny trailer to build yet?
Dean in Eureka, CA

Hey Dave,
I haven't even finished stripping the hull yet, so it will be a while before I get to whack those blocks off with a hammer. My workload as at it's max this time of year, so there isn't much play time right now.
I've been messing around with some designs for my trailer. I tried to post the designs, but I guess they are behind a firewall or something. (I'll ask the site administrator if there is a trick I can do to get the images from over there, to here)
In the meantime, if you want to check out my pop-up design, click on:http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/.
Click on album, then scroll down the following page and click on Users Personal Galleries and the click on my name at the bottom of the following page. Note: You'll need to create a profile and be logged on. I tried it logged off and when I got to Users Personal Galleries, I was prompted to log on.
They use the same format as here, except the administrator is more actively involved, which makes it very nice.
Are you thinkin' about building one?
How's the fishin' up there right now?
BTW Do you ever coat the inside of your salmon with mayonaise when barbequeing? A new trick down here, that I haven't tried yet, is to place the salmon on a piece of wet cedar during cooking.
Everything will be OK[img::]http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/images ... uryi3b.gif[/img]

Dean in Eureka, CA
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

Hey Dean...Yeah I'm thinking about a teardrop...I didn't realize that this was a rennasainse (sp??) type thing until I started to look at your BBS The decision to build the teardrop will rest upon what else strikes my fancy this winter and if I run into a suitable trailer this fall at a yard sale.

Regarding the hull pulling away from the forms, I bought a box of flathead screws that I have been pre-drilling through the hull with an 1/8 inch bit. I'm about 10 inches up from the sheer on strippng, and have put maybe 6 screws in in the field. My thoughts were that the 1/8 inch holes could easily be patched.. My last experinment with the glued blocks tore the heck out of my hull...Juneaudave
Dean in Eureka, CA

Yaa, I know what you mean. I'm kinda wondering how much friggin tear out I'm gonna get. I'm sure you'll hear me whine about it when it happens. :D

Dean in Eureka, CA
Jeff in Pembroke

Glue Blocks

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

Hi Dean,

I glued a piece of poster board on my glue blocks before I applied them. I glued the poster board surface to the inside of the hull planking. When the time came to remove them, a light tap on the block sheared the poster board in half and the block came away without difficulty. A light sanding was all that was necessary to remove the remaining bit of poster board stuck to the hull and there was no tearing or shearing of the planking. I learned this technique years ago in woodshop to attach the baseplate to a wood blank before mounting on a lathe. It seemed to adapt well to canoe building.
As an aside - cedar plank barbequed salmon is a phenomenal dish and I believe the method is North American aboriginal - well predating the arrival of European settlers - but that is a discussion for a different bulletin board I suppose.

Jeff

Post by Guest »

Thanks Jeff,
Sure would have been nice to know that before I started glueing my blocks to the hull. I was following Martin Step's advice as it was his technique. I even emailed him and asked, just to be sure. I had a very long discussion with Glen about this approch, after one of my first blocks needed to be repositioned. Glen wasn't too giglish about the technique. I got some tearout moving that one block, but my form was in the way to get a good shot at it with a hammer.
Well, there's allways next time.
I must say, I'm impressed with how you went about it and a little disapointed at myself for not thinking of that myself.
Thanks Again!

BTW I will let you guys know how it turns out for me. (Gonna practice swinging my hammer real fast, with good head speed)
Jeff in Pembroke

Post by Jeff in Pembroke »

Hi Dean

Glad to be of help. After all the great advice I got from this forum it's nice to be able to contribute something useful.
By the way - my Redbird paddles like a dream, another trip coming up this weekend. You'll love yours when it's finished.

Cheers,

Jeff