Steamers

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Mel Packham

Steamers

Post by Mel Packham »

Hello All, I am currently experiencing problems with my steamer, in that I have fixed a 2" down pipe on top of a Burco Boiler in order to steam my stems, I did a practice run to check it worked and lo the pipe began to go floppy. Steam is hot by definition so what next?? :rolling eyes Can anyone help?Mel
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

What material is the pipe made from? I have used PVC but it softens too easily so I have switched to schedule 40 ABS (thick wall) and have no problems with that.

Some builders use an automotive radiator hose.
ealger

Steamer Pipe

Post by ealger »

PVC does go to wet noodle mode when hot. I steam in a 4' length of 2" sched 40 PVC placed inside a 4" x 4' length of common vent pipe.
http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/ealger/Steamer/
Ed...
Ed Alger
Bill Robb

Post by Bill Robb »

Hi Mel...

I used a piece of 6" aluminum heating duct - about 5 feet long. Cut one end to fit snug around the spout of my camp kettle, and used my propane Coleman stove as the heat source.

Worked like a charm!

Bill
Juneaudave

Post by Juneaudave »

My personal favorite is a piece of salvaged aluminum downspout from a gutter!!! :laughing :laughing
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

Here's what I did... Portable, electric, multiple strips at a time..
You can make a simple cradle to support whatever you use in pipe.
Doesn't have to be anything elaborate..
Could double as a group Bong!!
:razz :laughing

Rehd

Denis

steamer

Post by Denis »

I watched Ted use a cardboard shipping tube to steam stems when he didn't have something else to use and a tea kettle. Worked like a charm, and he was able to use it at least twice before it got too soft to use anymore.

Denis from Lakefield ON