Gunwales - Preparation Order

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Bill Robb

Gunwales - Preparation Order

Post by Bill Robb »

Hi There...

I'm a couple of days away from starting my gunwales, so I've been mulling over the order of the steps. I want to have them tapered (30" long & on the hull side), scuppered (between the tapers) , bevelled on the bottom, and rounded over (exposed face). I'm starting with 3/4" X 3/4" Ash, and I plan to epoxy on the inners.

I'm thinking the order of carpentry should be: scupper, taper, bevel, then round-over. Is this the correct order? Any suggestions or hints?

BTW - I'm looking forward to start working with wood again (gunwales, decks and seats)! This epoxy stage has proven to be very frustrating - but it's almost over!

Thanks again...

Bill
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The last scuppered inwales I made were for a canoe with some tumblehome. So, I started by cutting a bevel on the hull side so the inwales would be level across. Then I either cut the scuppers or rounded over the bottom edge, not sure of the order. Finally, I tapered the ends.
ealger

Inwale prep order

Post by ealger »

The "correct" order, I guess, would be how confortable you'd be putting the taper on a 16' inwale after cutting the scuppers. They get a little weak at the center. You can tape the inwales together and cut the tapers at the same time in this case.

The other thing to think about is when to taper; after cutting the inwale to length or before.
Assuming the inwale is 17' or 18' feet long to start, then mark off your taper in the right location elsewise you'll be cutting the taper again after cutting to length. If you don't plan on cutting the taper to 1/16" at the end, then taper before cutting to length won't make a big difference as long as the 30" start point is in the right place.
Ed..
Ed Alger