Pitfalls of using thin outwales?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
rrwildlife

Pitfalls of using thin outwales?

Post by rrwildlife »

Hi all,

I'm contemplating putting thin outwales on my Cottage Cruiser, the full size 3/4 X 3/4 ash looks a little clunky. I'm wondering if other than the obvious ,that it will not turn away much water, if I'm missing some pitfalls? Also, how effective are the outwales at turning away water in actual use?

I've spent quite a lot of time in a Souris River Quetico 17 (tripping boat) that only had a 1/8 X 1" piece of aluminum for an outwale and the boat stayed quite dry in moderate waves. The difference is in the tumblehome of the cottage cruiser. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Ryan
bluedcanoed

Post by bluedcanoed »

Many builders thin the ends of the outer gunnels, say 30" or so - it gives the effect of thinner gunnels but preseves strength in the centre of the canoe.
For most use the amount of water outer gunnels will turn is a non issue.

Cheers,
Bob
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

You can also angle the underside of the gunwale so that you have the full 3/4" on the hull but 5/8" or 1/2" on the outer edge.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Rick

Post by Rick »

The outwales on my Huron are thin ash, 3/16 inch... the tumblehome and the cedarstrip construction make for a rigid hull and IMO, heavier outwales aren't necessary. If you are using screws to attach the outwales so that they'll be easily replaceable, don't overtighten them, since the outwale could split.

I don't think that wide outwales will do much to turn away waves. At some point, there will be a heavier wave and water will enter. The 35-inch width of the Cottage Cruiser is on the beamy side, and provides more floation than a narrower canoe. That will help keep water out, if it isn't too heavily loaded and the canoe can bob and ride over the waves easily.... happy paddling and stay safe.
rrwildlife

Post by rrwildlife »

Thanks for all the information. I think I'm going to go with 3/16" outwales like Rick has on his Huron. I tapered one outwale to 5/8 on the outer edge and it still looks clunky. I appreciate everones time in responding .

Regards,

Ryan