Strong enough bottom?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
keithw

Strong enough bottom?

Post by keithw »

I'm building my third canoe. The first two Had arched bottoms, using .20 strips, 6oz outside, and 4oz on the inside with excellent results, however this design is a fishing canoe with a rather flat bottom and square stern, and 40" wide. My concern is that the bottom may oil can using the same consruction as before, what do you builders think heavier glass, or one more layer over the football area, thicker strips?
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

Keith,
I built an 18 1/2 foot White Guide. Flat bottom and 36" beam. I put two layers of 6 oz glass on the outside and a layer on the inside. It oil canned pretty badly. You might consider a rib or two, or thicker, wider strips for the bottom.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
Rehd Brown

Post by Rehd Brown »

I agree with Greg. A couple of strategically placed bands, not necessarily wood, would greatly increase the strength. Lay a couple of extra layers of 6oz. glass, about 4 to 6" wide, in two or three places, across the bottom and fair in. Similar to the way you would strengthen the cockpit and hatch area of a kayak.

Rehd
keithw

oil canning

Post by keithw »

This canoe is 14.5' and I'm going to add a keel. I'm thinking the keel will help keep it from oil canning.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Oil canning is an inward motion of the hull bottom. Adding extra glass on the exterior will improve abrasion resistance and also increase the resistance to punctures coming from the inside. Adding an extra layer of glass on the interior of the hull will increase the resistance to punctures coming from the outside and will also reduce or eliminate oil canning.