Is there a pattern to create your own thwart.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
ruso

Is there a pattern to create your own thwart.

Post by ruso »

I'm finally to the point where I can start thinking about thwarts. I've already made a carrying yoke and according to Ted I could probably get away with just that, but I'm doing the Freedom 17'9" and I think one more thwart would be prudent. I don't seem to be able to find anything when I search. If there isn't a pattern, then perhaps someone could describe the dimensions of one. Thanks

Ruso
frugal

Post by frugal »

I just checked the latest edition of Canoecraft and while it does not have explicit details the shape is pretty much there on page 90. I'd just use a 1x2 and shape it according to the profiles in the book and call it done. The profile in the book is almost to scale for a 1x2 so you should be able to wing it from there.

Hey you just built a canoe. I'm sure you are up to the challenge.
Rick

Post by Rick »

You can make a good-looking thwart the same way that the stations are made, with a batten and a center line on a piece of paper folded over. The paper will need to be folded over twice for two center lines, along the length of the thwart and for the left and right halves, so that it's perfectly symmetrical along both axes.

Use the thwart shape in Canoecraft for starters or trace out a shape from another canoe. When you have an elegant shape worked out, cut out the shape in paper and unfold to reveal the thwart pattern, symmetrical along it's length and both right and left halves. Trace the shape onto some suitable wood stock (yellow birch is good for strength and flexibility) and cut out with jig saw.

A well-shaped thwart is a thing of beauty and it's worth spending some time making a graceful shape to complement the lines of the canoe. Far too many canoes out there with clunky dowels and pipes being used... good luck!
Bryan Hansel

Post by Bryan Hansel »

Check out this thwart. Very classy.