Solo fiberglassing

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
frugal

Post by frugal »

We glassed the outside this weekend using Raka. Based on this experience I would not have a concern doing it solo if I had to. We had previousy done a pre-coat so I don't know if that made a difference.

We followed the measuring method from John Michne's website using clear plastic glasses. The measuring and mixing took about 4 minutes per batch making 6 oz batches. Using this method is really straightforward so you should be able to get almost anyone do that for you. The link to John's page is:

http://www.michneboat.com/Fiberglassing%20-%20101.htm

Since this method uses fresh plastic glasses for every batch you could measure out several batches of resin and hardener ahead of time but not mix them until you are ready. This would take the mixing time down to a little over 2 minutes since they recommend mixing for at least 2 minutes.

FYI. I used some new brushes that I got from Home depot that has disposable bristle part held in a plastic handle. The disposable part costs about $3 or $3.50 but what I really liked about them is that the bristles are held in place in a block of epoxy. I never had one bristle come loose like I normally do. Our technique was a little wasteful since I concentrated on brushing extra epoxy on to the cloth and working it down to the hull. We used the squeegee to remove the excess.

The bottom line is that fibreglassing solo should not be a problem.
Rapt

Post by Rapt »

Its not hard doing the solo fibreglassing.

I use a squeegee for wet out, and foam rollers for "tipping" any bubbles or redistributing resin after its all done.

I was concerned the first time about the wet edge, but found that it wasn't really an issue. I started centre bottom of the hull and worked both directions alternating each side. One batch forward, one batch aft, until the boat was done.

Really pay attention to temperature, Heat everything up well in advance even the epoxy, then shut the heat down so its cooling slowly as you work and the initial stages of curing happen. This helps a lot with a good experience.

Also I'd suggest if its your first time that you do a small "test" say a couple square feet to see what works best for you in wetting out and working the resin around. Then you'll know more what to expect when you start the boat.