sharpening tools

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
roger bebee

sharpening tools

Post by roger bebee »

Hello all : I am planing on investing in some sharpening stones , to try and get that razer edge on my edge tools so that I can , as Ted says shave with them . Have read a fare bit about every thing from 400 too 10000 grit water stones ,greens to golds , oil stones ,diamond plates , wet dry sand paper , etc. I certianly would appreciate any advise on what to buy and were to get it
Thanks Roger :thinking
ealger

Sharp

Post by ealger »

Well Roger, you're going to get the whole spectrum of sharpening mehods from the readers.
I've have most all the items you mention. After 55 years I've come down to this plate: W250EFNB, 10" x 4" http://www.dmtsharp.com/products/duosharp.htm

If you add a King S-1 6000 grit gold stone plus a small Nagura stone, there isn't much you can't sharpen.

The hardest edge for me to sharpen is the stainless blades for the Pro-Prep scraper. Sandpaper will give an edge but the diamond plate gives me the best lasting edge.

Add the B8250 base to the DUO plate and you'll be happy. The 4" plate is expensive but you'll be able to sharpen plane irons using the fancy roller holders.
Ed...
Ed Alger
Kudzu

Post by Kudzu »

There are many methods that work and you just have to find what you like. I can tell you a couple of things to keep in mind. A sharpening guide is worth it's weight in gold. Doesn't have to be an expensive one either. Some can, but most of us can not hold the blades consistently without one.

You need to keep your stones flat, so you need a way to dress them from time to time.

I started out with the scary sharp (sandpaper) and it works! Razor sharp blades. I got a slab of granite from a sink cutout for a counter top and glued ALL my sandpaper down. I just got tired of that but it worked.

I ended up with Makita knife sharpener, used off EBay. I can sharpen my planer, jointer, hand plane and chisels blades on it and I love it.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

As noted by our fellow BBS members, there are multiple ways to stay sharp. I like using the japanese water stones and a good combo stone from Lee Valley is:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 3072,43071

I also keep several coarser grits of diamond stone if I need to start agressive (for dressing out any damage) and work my way to the mirror finish.

My tool sharpening is limited to chisels, planes and the occasional scraper. I also find that I rarely use my roller guide I bought... but I usually ends up with sore fingertips.
Snowman back East
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

I second the Duostones. Great value for the money(I know, they are pricey), lifetime warranty, and very handy in the shop. I second also the use of a jig. I use the Veritas one and love it. Get the set with the angle setting tool. A nagura is a good way to finish, but I get a razor edge with a strop board and rouge with much less maintenance than a water stone.

Greg
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
roger bebee

Post by roger bebee »

Thanks for all the advice , and anyone else keep it coming . Greg what is a strop board ?
canoeblderinmt

Post by canoeblderinmt »

You can buy them or make them. Flatten a stable board (ash, maple, etc) and glue a piece of leather to it, rough side up. Add jewelers rouge and run your newly sharpened blade over it a few times for a mirror, razor sharp finish. Picture in the old westerns the barber stropping his razor: Same idea.
" Choose to chance the rapids, Dare to dance the tide..."
ealger

Sharp

Post by ealger »

[img][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/ ... C_1804.jpg[/img][/img]
My Model M-1 Strop :wink
Ed Alger
dpetersen

Sharpening

Post by dpetersen »

If your budget can stand it, a Tormek machine is really good. I use mine for planer baldes, jointer blades, chisels,plane irons, and just abot anything else with an edge. Kind of pricey, but it makes a great barter chip (trade a sharpening job for something you need).