16' 0" Canadien

Use the Project Directories as quick-reference tools to help you find other builders working on similar projects to yours.
Joan and Ted
Site Admin

16' 0" Canadien

Post by Joan and Ted »

Use this forum to post information specific to your Project Directory - 16' 0" Canadien project. Use POST REPLY when posting information. Please stay on topic. For general boatbuilding discussions, please use the Builders Forum instead.
Glen Smith

Peterborough

Post by Glen Smith »

Posted by Michael.

Hello:
I,m building a Peterborough from Ted Moores first book. It is all striped up and
sanded for the most part. I have MAS epoxy and cloth just waiting for the weather to
warm up. My garage is unheated so low temps and humidity are a major concern.
Its the 31st of May and from the weather forcasts it looks like another couple weeks.
While I wait I want to start cutting my gunale stock however I'm concerned about seat placement and scuppers. I know Ted goes over ratios with the wieghts of paddlers
but where do you start? What is the rule of thumb for a 16 foot canoe's seat
placement?
My canoe is stripped with Red Cedar. No feature strips, pretty basic. I have on hand
enough Cherry or Mahogany to do the gunales. I'm leaning towards the Cherry I think it my have the best contrast if I find the right stain. Not sure what to do with the decks yet.
I'm open to any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks Michael
Glen Smith

Seat placement

Post by Glen Smith »

Hi Michael,

Canoe plans have suggested seat locations. Without this info I would make sure there was enough leg room for the bow paddler then use Ted's formula for the stern seat position.
Glen Smith

Re: seat placement

Post by Glen Smith »

Posted by Michael.

Hi Glen:
I do not have plans, I dimentioned stations directly from the book. Once I get
the canoe free of the forms I think this problem will be a little easier for me to decipher.
Thats for the suggestion that does sound like a good place to start.

Michael
parrisw

Post by parrisw »

Just started a build of the Canadien. I am building the strong back right now, about half done that, got my cedar on order from a mill. This probably will take me some time to finish, since I don't have allot of free time. Hopefully finish it through the winter.

Thanks
sluggo

Post by sluggo »

Have fun with it, and remember to post pictures of the good and the bad. I think a lot of us like to see photos!

I've hardly worked on my Freedom 15 for almost two months, but I'm eager to get at it. Have you built a boat before? Here's one bit of advice: the closer you try to get to "perfect" or "as nice as some of the boats shown here on the forum", the more likely it is that your build will take a year! If you have limited time and want to finish it sooner rather than later, don't sweat some cosmetic issues and keep the build simple. For instance, I'm currently stopped on my build where I'm putting in some accent strips. It's a lot more work, whereas if I had just stripped the hull I may have finished close to now.

cheers
parrisw

Post by parrisw »

Thanks for the tips. I will definatly be taking photos and posting them.

Will
parrisw

Post by parrisw »

Hey, thought I would post an update. I haven't done much yet. I did get the strong back all built, and half the mould stations made. Now just need to duplicate the stations, mount them on the strongback. I got all my cedar, probably enough to do 2 canoe's. I still need to machine that, its full dimension 1x6x17'
parrisw

Post by parrisw »

Been a long time since I've posted here, and likewise with my build. The winter wasn't kind to me, and I did nothing on my Canoe. But I've got new found energy to get going now, I ve finished all the station molds, I've mounted #6 and, now trying to find some material for stem's, I can't find Ash locally, would Oak be ok??

Also about to start machining my strips. How much room should I leave for maching?? Like how big should the rough strips be? I've got full dimension 1x6 so I will plane that down before ripping strips off of it, should I stop at 7/8 or 3/4? When ripping strips how much material can I plan to take off for planing, to end up at 1/4 inch think?

Thanks

Will
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Oak is ok for stems, don't forget, you can use cedar for the inner stems and a hardwood for the outer stems.

I plane all my boards to obtain smooth faces then I measure the thickness and I plane them all down to the same as the thinnest one I have. That is usually 3/4" or 7/8". If I am building a boat that has a tight curve in the bilge I might plane one board down thinner to obtain some narrow strips for that tight curve.

Now that I use a 7.25" diameter thin kerf Freud blade in my tablesaw I don't plane the strips at all. Otherwise, you would have to rip a few strips to see how much has to be planed off to remove saw marks and then adjust the saw fence according to that.
parrisw

Post by parrisw »

Great thanks allot. Guess I'll have to do a a few test strips to come to a final size.

Thanks
parrisw

Post by parrisw »

Started milling strips today, got 12 done, they are 7/8" x 1/4", still need to bead & cove.
parrisw

Post by parrisw »

How do I post pics, got a few to share. I've uploaded some to another site, and pasting the link here, with the img tags. still dont work.
parrisw

Post by parrisw »

Denis

CCM project with Rona

Post by Denis »

Once again Rona has stepped forward to support the Canadian Canoe Museum by sponsoring a canoe that will be built at the Rona store in Peterborough by Museum Volunteers. The canoe is for a raffle to be drawn in may of this year 2010. tickets are available at the museum and are $10. cad

We have started by building a new strongback and today we started making the forms for a 16 foot Canadien Canoe

I will post pictures and details of our progress

Denis